Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

65531 Pte Earnest Worral

BULLDOGFOGG

Ive found a 4th relative who died in the Great War, could anyone shed any light on the following from the CWGC:

Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)

Unit Text: 206th Bn.

Secondary Regiment: Royal Sussex Regiment

Secondary Unit Text: formerly 3rd Bn.

Can anyone place this unit around Jun 1917 (i presume he died in hospital with him being buried at St Sever Rouen)

Many thanks

Kevin :huh:

Well, it won't be 206 BN for a 1917 casualty; MGC Bns weren't formed until early 1918. More likely 206 Coy, formed at Grantham on 24 October 1916, and assigned to 58th Division (2/1st London) as the additional 'Divisional troops' Company (and therefore not assigned to any particular brigade) in March 1917.

If I remember correctly - 26 June 17 wasn't a particular 'battle day' for 58 Division; in between the end of the Arras operations and the beginning of 3rd Ypres.

http://www.1914-1918.net/58div.htm

should take you to the Divisional page on the main site.

Well, it won't be 206 BN for a 1917 casualty; MGC Bns weren't formed until early 1918. More likely 206 Coy, formed at Grantham on 24 October 1916, and assigned to 58th Division (2/1st London)  as the additional 'Divisional troops' Company (and therefore not assigned to any particular brigade) in March 1917.

If I remember correctly - 26 June 17 wasn't a particular 'battle day' for 58 Division; in between the end of the Arras operations and the beginning of 3rd Ypres.

http://www.1914-1918.net/58div.htm

should take you to the Divisional page on the main site.

Phil,

That info about the 206th Bn MGC was taken off the CWGC site, i think he would have been injured some time b4 Jun 1917 as i believe Rouen was a main hospital base.

Kev

Sorry - slight cross wires - yes, know about CWGC assigning people to MGC Bns before they were formed, not suggesting you're at fault; this is a CWGC clerical error. If in hospital for some time before date of death, probably Arras ops, then?