Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with finding detail of my Great Grandfather

lorraine

Hi there, I am hoping you can possibly help me. I have recently been given some a little bit of information on my Great Grandfather and would really like to find out more but seem to be coming to a blank. He apparently received a DCM on 20th November 1917 but I can't find any info anywhere. His name was James McGregor (Lance Corporal) and he was with Gordon Highlanders and I have a number S/14067. Not understanding Army terminology does not help me at all.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Lorraine

Hi Lorraine, and welcome to the Forum.

Before we get into details, can I suggest that you click the link to the Long Long Trail (top left of this page) and then find the section "Research". It should tell you all you need to know about how to go about researching James. You already have much more information than many of us when we started.

Come back and ask any specific questions that the mother site doesnt answer for you. Someone will try and help.

John

And just to whet your appetite, this is his DCM citation from the London Gazette

"For conspicious gallantry and devotion to duty. Whe assailed by machine gun fire from a flank and at point blank range by a battery of 4.2 guns in front, he got his Lewis gun into action against the battery and succeeded in silencing it, killing five gunners and wounding others."

A Lewis gun was a light machine gun operated by a two man crew (one loading, the other firing). A brave man, indeed, to take on an artillery battery.

John

John,

Thank you so much for this. I have searched the London Gazette and found nothing. Can you tell me how you found it.

Again many thanks for posting this.

Lorraine :D

And just to whet your appetite, this is his DCM citation from the London Gazette

"For conspicious gallantry and devotion to duty. Whe assailed by machine gun fire from a flank and at point blank range by a battery of 4.2 guns in front, he got his Lewis gun into action against the battery and succeeded in silencing it, killing five gunners and wounding others."

A Lewis gun was a light machine gun operated by a two man crew (one loading, the other firing). A brave man, indeed, to take on an artillery battery.

John

To find any details of where James served you would need to determine his battalion, as that was the unit type that moved as a group during the war.

The Medal Index Card (MIC) often gives you that information:

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=5

If not the Medal Index Card can be referenced to the Medal Rolls at Kew to determine his battalion.

There is also an MIC for his DCM:

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=5

It will state which issue of the London Gazette the award was publsihed in. John has given you the Citation already. It MAY also give his full battalion details. (my great-uncles MM card gave full details, foe example) Up to you whether you want to download it.

Each Card costs £3.50 to download. The links go to the "entrance pages" only and are not the MICs themselves.

I hope this helps,

Steve.

Welcome Lorraine. The story of your Great Grandfather is very interesting. From the date, the unit (Gordon Highlanders) and the description of what he did, it sounds as though he was involved in the Battle of Cambrai. I would guess he was in the 51st Division. You will find quite a bit of information about the Battle of Cambrai in this thread, which includes several maps:

Please let us know how you get on, especially if you can confirm any of the above.

All the best with the search.

Robert

Lorraine

The Gazette can be a nuisance to search (I'm using very polite language here, seeing as we don't know each other :D )

I searched on J. McGregor, from late 1917 to end of 1918. Thats J, dot, space, McGregor. Brought up about a dozen entries. Then it was a quick job to look through them.

John

Lorraine,

This is the Gazette link:

McGregor DCM

Stuart

I would like to thank you all so much for your help with this.

It was really nice reading what my G. Grandfather did to deserve this medal, although it must have been terrifying. Certainly makes me proud to be his G. Grand-daughter thats for sure.

Anyway thanks again.

I would like to thank you all so much for your help with this.

It was really nice reading what my G. Grandfather did to deserve this medal, although it must have been terrifying.  Certainly makes me proud to be his G. Grand-daughter thats for sure. 

Anyway thanks again.

Hi Lorraine, welcome to the forum

As John rightly said, a very brave man indeed to have taken on an artillery battery by himself. A DCM very well earned IMHO. No wonder he earned a promotion! No wonder youre proud Lorraine :D

If you can get somones attention on forum who lives in the area he came from (Aberdeen???), it may be worth asking for a newspaper look up, as I would bet he got himself a write up in the local rag of the time. Ive looked into a couple of the Sutherland brothers from Tarves (Aberdeen), so I know someone on forum lives around there, just unable to recall who sorry to say. :(

Very best of luck in your hunt for info on him, it should make for a terrific "story" if you can collect all the info on his service & the Battalion War Diary.

I can't add anything substantive from across the pond, but just wanted to give all the Pals here a big pat on the back for the assistance they've so readily given to Lorraine, (two pats for my buddy John H.). This has turned into a great thread, and Lorraine and her family can be very proud of the mettle with which her ancestor met the enemy.

Chris