Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sheffield City Battalion

David Gibson

This book, written by my father and Paul Oldfield, was one of the first of the series of books on the 'Pals' battalions. Not only does it tell the complete story of the Sheffield City Battalion, but also it lists the name of every man who served in that unit.

Sadly the book has been out of print for over a decade and nolonger appears on any book lists.

I am trying to get the book reprinted.

Anyone interested in buying a copy can contact Pen & Swords books by phone or email enquiries@pen-and-sword.co.uk or email me davidgibson1@btinternet.com

hiya dave,i cant understand why its never been reprinted,whats the point of pen and sword reprinting the other pals books and leaving this one out,the daft thing about pen + sword,is that they advertise it in the other ones,i hope you do get it printed again,bernard

Good luck in your efforts to get it reprinted David. I will be mailing Pen & Sword about getting a copy.

Martyn

Good luck, David. I've written to Pen and Sword on more than one occasion to suggest that it be reprinted. I don't recall receiving any replies.

Andrew

Good luck in your efforts to get it reprinted David. I will be mailing Pen & Sword about getting a copy.

Martyn

Thanks Martyn, please mention it to anyone you know who might be interested

Regards

David

Thanks Andrew, Pen & Sword are compiling a list of people who want the book at enquiries@pen-and-sword.co.uk , please drop them a line again if you are still interested

Regards

David

• 3 months later...

David,

I have one of the first prints and just looked cos I thought it was signed by your father when we met him just after it was published but alas no.

Lost contact with your dad some years ago.

It is signed but by Reg Glenn.

I'm pleased they are reprinting it for you. Well done.

Mandy

Mandy

My Dad now lives in west sussex and I'm sure he would be happy to sign your book. I can send you contact details if you want.

David

David,

I sent you a pm but not sure if it went or not.

Please send your dads addy as it would be nice to catch up with him again.

Mandy

Received E. Mail from one Katie Vollans Pen and Sword Books today who says they are publishing the "Sheffield Pals Book" on for sale in June 2006 in a smaller hardback version.

The adress is "Pen and Sword Books Ltd.,

47 Church Street,

Barnsley, South Yorkshire,

S70 2AS

E. Mail www.pen-and-sword.co.uk