Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Conscientous Objector Diary 1915

fatbob

This may be of interest to some.

I have a personal diary belonging to Percy Barton who served aboard the Plassy as a Sick Berth Attendant. The diary is for the year 1915. (I also have his Certificate of Exemption from Military Service and National Registration Card).

Percy was a Conscientous Objector.

The diary contains some personal information but may be of more interest to anyone wishing to know of the Plassy's whereabouts during 1915 as he has recorded this.

The diary is by no means comprehensive as there are many blank pages, but what there is makes for interesting reading.

I have in the past tried to transcribe the diary but due to a computer nightmare lost the file! If there is a demand I will be willing to start again.

Cheers,

FB

This may be of interest to some.

I have in the past tried to transcribe the diary but due to a computer nightmare lost the file! If there is a demand I will be willing to start again.

Cheers,

FB

Hi, Bob,

I would be intersted in reading that if you have the time and the will!

Marina

• 9 years later...

Hi, I have a couple of other diaries that I have transcribed from people on the Plassy and they are forming the basis of a book on the hospital ships that I am writing. If you still have the diary for Percy Barton I would be interested in hearing from you regarding it.

Kind regards

Andrew

This has been discussed elsewhere on GWF, in the course of which Fatbob has refrained from answering the question as to how anyone, let alone a serving rating of the Royal Navy, could be a conscientious objector at a period, viz 1915, when there was no conscription to which to conscientiously object.

Fatbon has also refrained from giving particulars of the Certificate of Exemption from Military Service he has claimed to hold, and, in particular, the date of issue and the grounds upon which it was issued.