Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hatton

Hatton

Hello,

I am a newbie, and probably like many others I am looking for information.

My great grandfather John (Porter) Hatton - the name porter may have been dropped - was a driver/chauffeur for a Colonel Pluemo (not sure of spelling) in France, he survived the war. I have no idea how to find out where or what division he was part of. Is there a database where I can find this information, or find out what medals he may have been awarded?

The National Archives provide some info but I cannot identify if this is my relative of not.

Many thanks for any advice you can offer.

H

If that is true, then this a picture of Plumer in his staff car. The driver is clearly visible. Could it be...?

Robert

post-1473-1120988105.jpg

Chris & Robert,

Thank you so much for your reply. The picture of the driver does bear such a stricking resemblance to my grandfather that I was quite physically stunned for some time. The link sounds as though this could be the Plumer (Pleumo most likely a spelling based on the sound of English doing a French accent on word of mouth information passed down).

I have read the links provided, as well pages on other websites. Do you have any advice as to where I can go now on the basis of this information to verify my possible connections to the man in the picture? And if any other pictures exist that might be of help? I have looked at the medal index, and I am unsure which one to select, and if indeed it will confirm my questions. Apologies again if this is another annoying newbie question.

Thanks again,

Yours truly amazed,

H

H, in all probability your only real hope of proving the details of his service are to find his service records. (The "Grandad" link above tells you how).

A chauffeur was likely to be in he Army Service Corps, and I can see there is a medal index card for a John P Hatton:

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=1

Download a copy (it costs £3.50), and let's see what it says...

post-7498-1121368670.gifChris,

You superstar!!!

It is my Great Grandad - I have just had it verified by a relative.

Fantastic, I really am very grateful for your interest and help. I have looked at the guide, but cannot work out what the 2 / c... division DSC (?)- and victory roll showing rose/101r0221 - cannot see any other medal rolls with this?

H

post-7498-1121368670.gifChris,

You superstar!!!

It is my Great Grandad - I have just had it verified by a relative.

Fantastic, I really am very grateful for your interest and help. I have looked at the guide, but cannot work out what the 2 / c... division DSC (?)- and victory roll showing rose/101r0221 - cannot see any other medal rolls with this?

H

Hi H the rosa is RASC. The Army Service Corps was made Royal in 1918. Try The RLC at Dettingen House,The PRB Deepcut Camberley Surrey GU16 6RW.cheers themonsstar