Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Guardian Angels

Kate Wills

Imagine for a while that you are a guardian angel in WW1, and you have the power to save a life that was lost in the war. Aside from family, whom would you choose?

Here are a few of my candidates:

Pte William Joseph Lambourne, 1st Grenadier Guards dow 15 October 1915, leaving a widow and two sons. One, 2 year old Henry, was to become my great friend and helpmate many years on. William, a reservist, went off determined to win the VC, and was twice MiD for tending the wounded. He was a kind, brave and honourable man, like the son he barely knew.

I would also have tried to retain the services of several composers, to follow their progress:

George Butterworth and Cecil Coles in the British lines, and the German composer Rudi Stephan, born in Worms in 1887, who died at Tarnapol in East Galicia in September 1915. Stephan told his parents before his departure “so long as nothing happens to my head, because there are so many beautiful things inside”.

Oh, if only we knew…

I am stuck between two local men.

The first is 2/Lt Harold Greenhalgh, a local Headmaster, aged 41, who by all accounts was a bloody good bloke. He had a wife and two young daughters and had revolutionised the teaching at his school, having split classes into single sex and introducing cooking and needlework classes for the girls, woodwork and visits to local employers for the boys and rural science for all, as well as improving results in other subjects, notably maths. He also undertook much fund raising for teh school and community in general and under his music tuteledge some of the children were awarded county scholarships - and this is despite the impoverished nature of the village. It is fair to say that in everything he did, he wanted it to reflect well on his school and the community.

The other is Ldg Trimmer James Keutenius RNR, kia 10.11.1918. His wife had died 6 months earlier and his three young children became orphans. At the earliest the telegram would have arrived the day of the Armistice, but was more likely to arrive a day or so after. Imagine the emotions, not only for his children but for his elderly parents also.

What a terrible choice to have to make. Whoever you chose, there will be millions of others who you will know did not benefit from that choice!

Tim

But this is a hyperthetical situation Tim. Choose as many as your typing fingers can tolerate.

I wonder if I have to give this angel a life in exchange for one saved? That's a lot easier choice. I would nominate a certain Corporal A Hitler. That would have well and truly b****red up the rest of 20th century history wouldn't it?!

Tim

I wonder if I have to give this angel a life in exchange for one saved? That's a lot easier choice. I would nominate a certain Corporal A Hitler. That would have well and truly b****red up the rest of 20th century history wouldn't it?!

Tim

That was my thought Tim, but I didn't really know how to put it!!!

Guest stevebec

Yes type as quick as you can like the list of Schindlers Jew's. Life or death.

Who do we save?

Those killed by war or those who's lifes were ruined by war.

But I don't thinks its heathy to dwell on this subjuct as there's been to much so called water under the bridge now.

S.B