Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Instrument panel clock

Guest Gary Davidson

Guest Gary Davidson

I was curious about the removable pocket watch clock that I have seen mounted on the instrument panel of many RFC aircraft. At what point did this panel mounted clock make the transition to the pilot’s wrist?

Gary

Gary

Prior to, and during, the Great War, wristwatches were a comparitive novelty. In Brophy and Partridge's The Long Trail - What the British Soldier sang and said in 1914-1918, wristwatch is mentioned as a being both a noun and an adjective for something seen as being in the best style, eg "He was talking pukka wristwatch" meaning to speak in a blasé style.

Modern-minded airmen might have been early users of the small watches on the wrist, but they would have been very difficult to look at in flight, when buried by a tunic, overalls and gloves, so a small clock on the instrument panel would have been necessary to keep track of the time.

Regards

Gareth

Guest Gary Davidson

Gareth --

Thanks for that. Here is a picture of the type of watch I am talking about. Basically a pocket watch encased in a removeable leather wrist band. This particular model is French, and has military time marked around the dial in red. I have seen a few of this type of watch on the web listed as a pilot's watch -- as opposed to the more commonly found "trench watch."

Gary

post-5505-1120964358.jpg

Gary

I think the idea was that the watch was fixed to the instrument panel while the aeroplane was flying, and removed to the pilot's wrist when it wasn't. If you've read V M Yeates' Winged Victory you'll remember that pilots frequently reminded to remove the watch from a crashed or force-landed aircraft. Obviously, they made attractive souvenirs!

Regards

Gareth

Guest Gary Davidson

Gareth --

You are probably right. By the way, I believe "wristlet" was the name for the leather band for this type of watch.

Here's a picture of a soldier wearing one.

Gary

post-5505-1120973268.jpg