Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

One for Steve

michaeldr

Steve

I came across this yesterday when I was working my way through the photographs in the collection recommended on this forum by our Pal, G. C. Wilson

And I thought that you might be interested

Actually I feel fairly certain that in some thread, in some post of yours, there is a mention of a feature on the Suvla front named after a Franklin and I was wondering if this is he?

I have tried a search but cannot find the ref; I do hope that my memory is not playing tricks again

All the best

Michael D.R.

Original cross marked to:

Capt. (Bde. Maj.) T. A. Franklin 1/5th Bn. Bedford Regt. 26-11-17

Photograph below taken from http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/I?matp...06:@@@mdb=matpc

Details from the CWGC;

Name: FRANKLIN

Initials: T

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Bedfordshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st/5th Bn.

Date of Death: 27/11/1917

Awards: MC

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: C. 73.

Cemetery: JERUSALEM WAR CEMETERY

post-386-1120933735.jpg

:lol: well, well, talk about being a mind reader michael.

As I was putting together a page summarising the gallantry medals earned by the 5th in the war (for the website), I noticed that of the 16 MM's medals earned during the Umbrella Hill Raids in July 1917, 6 of the winners from there and several other galantry medal winners were killed in November 1917's actions. Seemed to thin the ranks of medal winners considerably, so as you can imagine, Ive been busy sniffing around this topic this weekend whilst i wait for a final peice of the jigsaw on 15th August 1915 battles.

Mate, youre brill as I havent found a thing about Cpt Franklin so far. Thanks for thinking of me first & foremost, & definitely thanks for the really useful info!! Excellent!!

Got a feeling its Franklins Post (???) youre thinking of but havent seen anything in text to suggest it was named after him so far. Be interesting to find out though ....

Youre a very nice man, a very very nice man ..... :D

Cheers :D

Steve