Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

was this my great uncle

Guest sushi

Hello!

This is my first time on this forum, and I would like to ask advice from someone.

I have downloaded copies of 2 medal card both with the name Joseph Wootton, the name of my great uncle.

One of the cards has the has the middle initial 'M' and I want to find out if this stands for Mason, my great uncle's middle name. The card says the Leics. R - that he was a private, and his regimental number 45343.

The other card is for Joseph Wootton, with no other initial, that is in the S.Staffs.R.

his number 15107.

He was born in Smethwick, in 1900 thats all the info I have.

Can anyone help, please ?

Sushi

A tricky one, I assume your Gt Uncle survived the war as there are no Joseph Woottons on Commonwealth War Graves Site.

If he was born in 1900 he would have been a very young soldier so probably didn't join up until near the end or thr Great War.

Do the medal Index cards mention 1914 or 1915 stars if one does this probaly excludes it from being your man.

Does the card give any dates of entry into theatre?

Jane

Sushi:

Welcome to The Forum.

Hope this helps.

gordon

Here's from the 1901 Census:

Name Estimated Birth Year Birthplace Relationship Civil Parish County

Elizabeth Wootton abt 1878 Oldbury, Worcestershire, England Wife Smethwick Staffordshire

George Harold Wootton abt 1897 Smethwick, Staffordshire, England Son Smethwick Staffordshire

Harold Wootton abt 1876 Smethwick, Staffordshire, England Head Smethwick Staffordshire

James Henry Wootton abt 1898 West Bromwich, Staffordshire, England Son Smethwick Staffordshire

Joseph Mason Wootton abt 1900 Smethwick, Staffordshire, England Son Smethwick Staffordshire