Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

POW list, lookup please

museumtom

I just wondered if Charles Edward warwick appears on any POW list for the Jerusalem area in ww1> This man (I reckon) died as a POW.

Any leads would be most welcome.

regards.

Tom.

Tom,

I came across the case of Francis Flood yesterday while looking through the photograph collection recommended by Pal, G. C. Wilson on the ‘Other Theatres Forum.’ If I have understood the case correctly, Flood died as a PoW and was buried by the Ottoman authorities in an already existing Christian cemetery in Jerusalem, in this instance, the Latin Cemetery.

As I understand that your man in buried in a known, marked grave on Mount Scopus, then if he had died as a PoW, I think that the CWGC would have had to move his remains to there, from the place where the Ottoman authorities originally interred him, and if so they would have a record of him as having died as a PoW.

Have you checked this out with the CWGC who might be able to help you here?

Example:

Name: FLOOD, FRANCIS JOSEPH

Initials: F J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

Unit Text: 1/5th Bn.

Date of Death: 31/10/1917

Service No: 201175

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Spec. Mem.

Cemetery: JERUSALEM LATIN CEMETERY

Cemetery: JERUSALEM LATIN CEMETERY

Locality: unspecified

Visiting Information: The cemetery gates are locked at all times, but will be opened by the attendant. Wheelchair access to this cemetery possible via main entrance.

Location Information: The Cemetery is south of the old city at Mount Zion, to the east of the tomb of David. Go up the hill from Yerushalayim Street.

Historical Information: This civil cemetery contains the grave of one Commonwealth serviceman of the First World War who died as a prisoner of war. The cemetery also contains the graves of 16 men of the Palestine Police. Ten of these are classified as war burials.

No. of Identified Casualties: 17

Photograph below of original cross/grave from

http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/I?matp...856sf=11518:@@@

Regards

Michael D.R.

post-386-1120931409.jpg

I checked with the CWGC and although it said that POWs were buried in this cemetery it did not say that my casualty was one of them. I wondered if his name was on a POW database somewhere it might nail this line down.

regards.

tom