Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

more towns in my uncle's diary

ackimzey

My uncle writes ( was near Poperinge):

Went in camp about 2 1/2 miles west of ????could be Wotan? Castan?...

The only clear letter is the "t" in the middle. xxxtxx, or xxtxx.

he continues: (5-16-18) sick parade in am. Went to xxtxx and in pm. to

Hautke?que. Bombing near by at night.

(5-17-18) Usual days work. Were many sick and had to visit batteries.

(5-18-18) Entrained at a station near Crembeke??? at 4 a.m. Came thru St. Omer, Burgette, Lille, St. Pa?o? l, and detrained at Doullens about 4 p.m. Came to Czaincourt??? which is about 2 1/2 miles south of Doullens??? Very nice place, beautiful hills and forests. To be here for a week or two.

So far with all the help I've received, we're "batting 1000" so any and all suggestions will be gratefully received. I really do have a map of France but since some of the locations are in Belgium they are not on the index. Anyway, my thanks to all who may have some suggesions.

Ann

Dear Ann,

First of all I suggest to try and find the "Michelin map 301 LOCAL". You'll be able to follow you uncle's route in detail.

Wotan : Watou (Belgian village on the French border about 8 km West of Poperinge)

Hautke?que : Houtkerque : 4 km further West (from Watou) in France.

Crembeke??? : Can't find any trace ... sorry.

Burgette : Again my guess (It is on the railway) would be Berguette. (some 25 km South-East of St.-Omer)

St. Pa?o? l : My guess would be St.Pol-sur-Ternoise (as it is some 60 km south-west of Lille, some 26 km North of Doullens

Czaincourt??? : Gézaincourt : some 2 km South of Doullens.

Hopethis is of help to you.

cheers

eric

Cembeke is KROMBEKE I think

the east of Proven.

correction:

the north east of Proven (3km) and it is +- 8km the north east of Houtkerke

Ann;

I have been too lazy to took up exactly where it was (just read about it but I am not sure where), but there also was a German Wotan=Stellung (Wotan Position) on one side of the Siegfried Position or "Siegfried Line"; the Allies might have refered to it as part of the "Siegfried Line".

This is not to suggest that the other member's post giving a possible meaning of that enty is not correct; only to suggest another possibility in case that it does not pan out.

I assume both Wotan and Siegfried both refer to the Wagnerian characters.

Bob Lembke

Bob, Wotan and Siegfried were Wagnerian in origin. In keeping with the theme, the German code name for the retreat to the Hindenburg Line was 'Alberich', a dwarf character who is variously labelled as 'noxious', 'tyrannical' and, perhaps more politely, 'mischevious'.

Robert

Bob, Wotan and Siegfried were Wagnerian in origin.  In keeping with the theme, the German code name for the retreat to the Hindenburg Line was 'Alberich', a dwarf character who is variously labelled as 'noxious', 'tyrannical' and, perhaps more politely, 'mischevious'.

Robert

To be ultra picky, the characters are from Norse mythology which Wagner used as a base for his storyline. :wacko:

Bob, Wotan and Siegfried were Wagnerian in origin.  In keeping with the theme, the German code name for the retreat to the Hindenburg Line was 'Alberich', a dwarf character who is variously labelled as 'noxious', 'tyrannical' and, perhaps more politely, 'mischevious'.

Robert

Robert;

In line with the "mischevious", my father, a Pionier, described the boobytraps that they left behind in that carefully planned retreat. In particular, he took part in implanting the bomb in the basement of the city hall of Bupaume (Do I have the spelling correct?). After doing that his unit was taken 20 miles behind the line until it blew so that no one could be captured or desert and blab about it.

Bob Lembke

You do not tell us the nationality of your uncle, but unless he was German or a prisoner his train did not go via Lille in May 1918, as it was still under German occupation.

My great uncle was a U.S. army lieutenent (a physician) who was attached to the BEF (4th army, 104th Field Ambulance then to the 121st R.F.A)..His name was Grover Carter and he was from Memphis, Tennessee. I've had the diary for quite a long time, but this forum has made the transcription both much easier and certainly more interesting. I really appreciate all the help and information.

Ann

Hi, Angie,

thanks for the information about Lille. I rechecked the diary and the entry could be "liller". Then, looking at the map, I found "Lillers" which is in the perfect place, between Berguette and St. Pol-sur Ternoise". This makes more sense (the route thru Lille seemed a bit odd when tracing it on the map and your post made it impossible).

ann