Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RNVR Number Query

BeppoSapone

I have picked up a single red WW1 identity disc to a member of the RNVR.

As my knowledge is things nautical is rather limited I wonder if anyone can tell me anything about 'my' man from his number?

Z/1459 H W Brunning of the RNVR. The disc is marked "Palace" which, I assume, means that he was a member of the permanent staff at Crystal Palace in south London?

Any comments welcome.

post-1110-1120864050.jpg

I would guess that he was not a member of the permanent staff at Crystal Palace but that the disc shows where he enlisted. The RNVR had a prefix on their medals of ZP for civilians who enlisted at Crystal Palace and the manufacturer of the identity disc has entered the Z (not a prefix on it's own for the RNVR) and completed the prefix "in full". The C.E. shows that your man was a member of the Church of England.

His medal roll is in ADM 171/125 and that should confirm his number, as long as he kept it for all of his service.

If he served in the RND, the index card of his service is held at Kew, on microfilm, in ADM 339/1. It will have details of next of kin (with address) DoB, allocations to battalions, and admissions to hospital/ other reasons to contact NoK. If he served at sea his service register will be on microfilm in ADM 337.