Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC/RNAS

John

The Royal Flying Corps was established (by combining the Air Battalion of the Royal Engineers and the Naval Air Organisation) on 13 April 1912, and comprised a Miltary and a Naval Wing. Although theoretically part of the RFC, the Naval Wing went along pretty much on its own until 1 July 1914, when it was formally separated and designated the Royal Naval Air Service, a title that had been used unoffically for some time.

I hope that this helps you.

Gareth

Hello

I have just read that the RN produced an unsucessful airship in 1911 which, I think, predates the first army aviation units with aircraft by a short time. Don't know if they were the RNAS.

Old Tom

Hello

I have just read that the RN produced an unsucessful airship in 1911 which, I think, predates the first army aviation units with aircraft by a short time. Don't know if they were the RNAS.

Old Tom

Tom

The Army established the Balloon Equipment Store (the first British military aviation unit) at Woolwich in 1878; a balloon is an aircraft. The Royal Navy first started experimenting with airships in 1908, and took over the Army's airships in January 1914, six months prior to the establishment of the RNAS.

Cheers

Gareth

Tom

a balloon is an aircraft. 

Cheers

Gareth

Is ballooning classed as flying or is power/control required? Sounds more like floating to me! Does a bubble fly? :( Phil B

Phil

My Pocket Oxford Dictionary defines to fly as 'move through the air with wings or in an aircraft'; aircraft is defined as 'an aeroplane, airship or balloon'.

Cheers

Gareth

I`ll have to give it to you, Gareth! I tried to find a loophole in the New Oxford Dictionary of English. But failed! Did they ever refer to the units as "Flying Units" when they only had balloons? Phil B

post-2329-1120987467.jpg

Phil

Not that I'm aware, but the Kite Balloon Sections and Companies were part of the Royal Flying Corps.

Regards

Gareth

Kite Balloon Sections and Companies were part of the Royal Flying Corps.

As Gareth has mentioned the RNAS initially operated the kite balloons; with the first RNAS kite balloon section entering France in May 1915. After 1917 (I think that Force ‘D’ in Mesopotamia was the last land deployment) they concentrated on ship borne balloon companies,

I thought ‘aircraft’ was rather like ‘craft’ or ‘vessel’ in naval terms, which covers everything from a rowboat up to a battleship. So aircraft is anything that can carry people into the air, such as helicopters, balloons or planes. As opposed to ‘aeroplanes,' which are winged, but still they are aircraft. Isn't a balloon trip is called a ‘flight?’

Phil

Not that I'm aware, but the Kite Balloon Sections and Companies were part of the Royal Flying Corps.

Regards

Gareth

So were the Motor Transport Sections presumably, but they didn`t fly! It`s OK, gents, I accept that a balloon flies (in a fashion). I just wonder if the military called their units Flying Corps etc when they only had balloons.

The Americans used balloons for observation in the Civil War, but I suspect there might have been earlier use? Phil B

Phil,

You can fly a kite, fly a balloon and fly an aeroplane

I think that the usual way to differentiate the first two from the last is that

The Kite/balloon are described as LTA = lighter than air craft

Regards

Michael D.R.

Phil,

You can fly a kite, fly a balloon and fly an aeroplane

I think that the usual way to differentiate the first two from the last is that

The Kite/balloon are described as LTA = lighter than air craft

Regards

Michael D.R.

I accept what you say, Michael. It`s just that "flying" implies a good degree of control over the aircraft. You wouldn`t say a balloon observer flew the balloon, would you? And the RFC presumably didn`t grant them pilot`s wings (on the uniform, that is!) Phil B

Phil

I think that definitions have changed a bit in the past 90 or so years.

Balloon observers wore the same winged 'O' as aeroplane observers.

Regards

Gareth