Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Bombers

Broznitsky

I have two different war diary descriptions of a battalion of German soldiers in an August 1917 battle. Apparently their "sole equipment consisted of an apron grenade carrier" loaded with stick and egg grenades; "No steel helmets were worn by this unit." It was surmised that this was to enable them to move quickly to outdistance their Canadian counterparts.

Any Pals encountered similiar descriptions? Can our German experts comment?

Peter

I have come across many references to bombing parties that were equipped with a variety of grenades and equipment. Raiding parties often did not wear steel helmets due to weight and the possibility of exposure. Speed would definitely be enhanced by wearing a Feld Mutze only. In the hot months many men wore lighter outfits just to cut on the discomfort, examples are known at the Somme where many defenders were fighting without helmets and in shirtsleeves. Some bombers also found they could throw further without wearing the uniform tunic.

I have also read accounts and seen illustrations that show combat scenarios where not only were steel helmets worn but some carried carbines, pistols, etc.

In the early part of the war the bombing parties were handled by the pioneer troops who were trained in the use of hand grenades while the infantry carried out the other duties. In late 1914 and beyond the use and handling of hand grenades was taught to all branches of the army including artillery, line of transport, etc.

I do not think there is any definitive rule that applies to the type of dress and equipment used by individual units, the equipment would depend upon the situation as it arose.

Ralph

I can confirm the tactics. Read of them in numerous post war (20s) diaries/ books, to include Juenger. I think last time in "Stosstrupp Markmann greift ein". Markmann was a famous forerunner and initiator of the storm troop tactics. He was killed in action later in the war. I just scanned a picture of Leutnant Markmann, the developer of storm troop tactics:

post-3-1057962185.jpg

The area around Gheluvelt was frequently the scene of storm troop attacks and counter attacks in 1917 and also English sources talk about lightly armed storm troops, carrying only light equipment, pistol and hand grenades. They were *a lot* faster and more successful than the British attackers carrying 30 kgs of equipment... Of course these attackers had to be followed by more heavily armed and equipped soldiers that had to defend the newly conquered positions.

Jan

During the second world war there were two types of fuses for use with the 36 Mills Grenade, 4 seconds and 7 seconds although I only came across the 7 seconds one in training. Does anyone know if these were used in WW1. if I remember right they were colour coded.

Cliff. Hobson.

I seem to recall there was a German grenade in WW1 that was used in assaults, it had a 1 second fuze, so user beware.

Ralph

• 1 month later...
bombing parties that were equipped with a variety of grenades and equipment. Raiding parties often did not wear steel helmets due to weight and the possibility of exposure. Speed would definitely be enhanced by wearing a Feld Mutze only. In the hot months many men wore lighter outfits just to cut on the discomfort, examples are known at the Somme where many defenders were fighting without helmets and in shirtsleeves. Some bombers also found they could throw further without wearing the uniform tunic.

Ralph (or others); I have searched Google to try and get some photos of how these men might have appeared to the Canadians.

Can anybody point to a link or upload a photo of a grenadier from a raiding party, particularly in summer wear?

Peter (on course in Ottawa)