Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NEW BOOT'S

KILTY

I can well imagine the problems that a pair of tight fitting boots would cause during the Great War. I read that Officers found half a bottle of whisky poured into the offending boots and left overnight cured the problem: But the infantrymen used a more organic liquid. ( and cheaper).

This is serious stuff Kilty! When I joined the Air Force, I applied the same organic method in its 3rd generation. It still is the one and only successful method :)

Guest stevebec

Agreed the organic liquid is good but you can also use hot water for the job.

I soaked them in hot water (dunked) then wore them for the day. By the end they fitted nicely. Dont forget the blacken them a few times also.

S.B

KILTY, don't miss the point: I mean LUFTWAFFE :D Another proof that the certain organic stuff is international,(so is hot water) :lol:

When I was in the Canadian Army we would wear our boots in a cool shower in the morning and wear them all day. This formed them to your feet.

Dean Owen

Guest Hill 60

Damn, I was a lucky bunny B). My boots fitted me from day one, and never caused me problems.

No organic liquid solutions for me :P

Guest Hill 60
Mine bl**dy well didn't!

And my feet are still suffering!

Ah, but I was so deformed when I joined up that all my uniform fitted perfectly :lol:

Does anyone remember "spooning" the toe cap with a heated up spoon on melted black polish to get a shine better than patent leather?

Tim

Tim,

Yes I do, to smooth down the little dimples, do you remember people being sent to the NAAFI for "little circles" to get extra shiny boots. I wasn't one of them, honest.

Roger.

When I was doing my basic at Catterick the Cpl says I'll show you how

to burn the pimples off with a hot spoon but if anyone gets caught doing it they'll charged for destroying government property. All those hours sitting there with a cloth, tin of polish with water in the lid, going round and round in circles. But didnt you like the finish when the toecaps shone like glass.

I was very lucky all my issued boots both DMS and the later Combat boots, fitted like a glove from day one.

Geoff

We had two pair issued before basic. In basic one had to be spit shined at all times but they made us alternate pair so we had to spit shine one pair every night. I still cannot say this contributed one bit to making anyone a better soldier it's just army idiocy.

On the subject of boots, is there truth in the tale that, pre-1914, boots were issued one pair black, one brown, and that all converged on black when brown polish was unobtainable? Also that, on active service, boots were to be dubbinned rather than polished, and then miraculously bulled if a parade was laid on?

On the subject of organic liquids, not a lot of people realise that, for married quarters, officers' chamber pots had a handle, to stop their thumbs getting wet [RAF tale]