Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How Old 2?

Jonathan Saunders

I am not sure if this will work as well as the photo Michael posted, but any ideas on the age of the man is this photo. The photo is believed to have been taken in August 1914, shortly after he enlisted.

(Fingers crossed the attachment worked)

post-1-1057955184.jpg

All answers will be provided later tonight or tomorrow morning to give a few others a chance to draw their conclusions.

The man in the photo was William Edward Mower. He had voluntered for service in the Boer War at the age of 35, serving with the 1/Suffolks. I believe he also served in India at the end of the South African Campaign, before completing his 12 yrs as a Reservist.

He presented himself at a recruiting office at Walthamstow on 7 August 1914 volunteering for further service as a result of the outbreak of war. He gave his age as 47 and 9 mths. He was in fact 49 and 9 mths. The army at first passed him fit, his attestation paper says for a period of 1 yr service with 7/Essex - I presume they thought he could work in stores or at the depot. But then on 17 August 1914 he was discharged as medically unfit.

For those that asked he was a Private, but on the full photo he wears 4 upturned chevrons, indicating 12 yrs previous service with undetected crime ... the word undetected made me smile!

I believe the photo to have been taken during that 10 day period of sevice in August 1914 when he was nearly 50 yrs of age. My interest in him is that he ws my Gt Grandfather.

Thanks to those that made a guess.