Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

521st Siege Battery RGA

essdee

Stuart,

Correct 521st(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. were formed in Nov 1917, at Aldershot I believe and disbanded in 1919.

By November 1918 they were serving as "Army Troops" with the 5th Army and unbrigaded. The Battery's armament was 4x 6inch guns.

In the "Interim Order of Battle" which was to be implemented on the 21/5/1919 521st(Siege)Bty,R.G.A. was to be redsignated as 161st(Siege)Bty,R.G.A.. Due to the signing of the "Treaty of Versailles" in June 1919 the redesignation was never carried out.

Sorry, best I can do.

Graham.

• 7 months later...

Hi,

Does anyone have any info on the 521st Siege battery? All I have managed to trace so far is that they were attached to the First or Fifth Army. I have a relative who was in this unit and was killed in action in June 1918.

Many thanks

William James Lockhart 521 Siege Battery died on 29th June 1918 aged 25 from the effects of gas along with several others from the battery.

On the 24th June their position, one gun of the northern section, was heavily shelled with gas, 11.30pm - 1.00 am, resulting in 20 men and 3 officers being taken to hospital. This happened on the morning of the 25th when the men returned to the guns, some of them omitting to wear their box respirators.

The other men of 521 also buried at Aire Communal Cemetery are: Gnr Chapman, Gnr Cowlin, Gnr Goodey, 2nd Lt Hawkes, Gnr Sandwell, Gnr Timms, Gnr Williams and Cpt T. Matthews . Gunners Andrews, Bainbridge, Davies and Goodyear are buried at Terlincthun Cemetery. I went to Aire cemetery 2/3 years ago and unfortunately forgot my camera, so I can’t post you a picture.

521 Siege Battery were raised at Aldershot in November 1917, Borden Camp, and were sent to France in April 1918, sans guns. They were attached to the First Army, 11 Corps, 49th HA Brigade on the 22 May at which time they were armed with 4 x 6 inch Mk 19 Guns. The Battery at the time of Lockharts death were just north of St Venant, which is about 5 miles east of Aire in J 27a.

Stuart

Thank you very much. I have tried so hard to find out what happened to William (no one in our family even knew he exisited until I found him in my family history research).

Next time I am in France (taking the children to Disneyland) I will have to stop off and visit.

Thank you again.

William James Lockhart 521 Siege Battery died on 29th June 1918 aged 25 from the effects of gas along with several others from the battery.

On the 24th June their position, one gun of the northern section, was heavily shelled with gas, 11.30pm - 1.00 am, resulting in 20 men and 3 officers being taken to hospital. This happened on the morning of the 25th when the men returned to the guns, some of them omitting to wear their box respirators.

The other men of 521 also buried at Aire Communal Cemetery are: Gnr Chapman, Gnr Cowlin, Gnr Goodey, 2nd Lt Hawkes, Gnr Sandwell, Gnr Timms, Gnr Williams and Cpt T. Matthews . Gunners Andrews, Bainbridge, Davies and Goodyear are buried at Terlincthun Cemetery. I went to Aire cemetery 2/3 years ago and unfortunately forgot my camera, so I can’t post you a picture.

521 Siege Battery were raised at Aldershot in November 1917, Borden Camp, and were sent to France in April 1918, sans guns. They were attached to the First Army, 11 Corps, 49th HA Brigade on the 22 May at which time they were armed with 4 x 6 inch Mk 19 Guns. The Battery at the time of Lockharts death were just north of St Venant, which is about 5 miles east of Aire in J 27a.

Stuart

Thank you very much both of you. I have tried so hard to find out what happened to William (no one in our family even knew he exisited until I found him in my family history research).

Next time I am in France (taking the children to Disneyland) I will have to stop off and visit.

Thank you again.

Stuart

Thank you very much both of you. I have tried so hard to find out what happened to William (no one in our family even knew he exisited until I found him in my family history research).

Thank you again.

Stuart