Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st N.R.V. and soldier movements

Nick

Pals,

I know this is a little outside our usual period, but can anyone assist a colleague of mine with this conundrum:

William Sayer (1828-1907) was a drill instructor in 1871 with "1st N.R.V." in Norwich. By 1881 he was a Sergeant Major, still a drill instructor, and now living at the Chapel Field Road Drill Hall, Norwich. By 1891 he had become an army pensioner and died so in 1907 as a "Pensioner 52nd Regiment".

Can anyone shed light on what the "1st N.R.V." was in 1871, what army unit(s) would have been based at the Chapel Road Drill Hall in Norwich during the 1870s and 1880s when he was drill instructor, and how he might have ended up in the 52nd Regiment by 1891?

I have tried to find his army pension records in TNA in WO 117 (Length of Service Pensions) for the relevant years without success. Can anyone suggest other likely sources in TNA or elsewhere to get his service records?

All help greatly appreciated.

Nick,

If my memory serves me right?

The "1st N.R.V." = Ist Norfolk Rifle Volunteer Corps [City of Norwich]

In 1881 the 1st & 4th Norfolk Rifle Volunteer Corps were redeignated as the 1st & 4th Vol Bns The Norfolk Regt.

In 1908 when the Territorial Force was formed they were redesignated as the 4th Bn. The Norfolk Regt.

Regards

Arthur

Nick,

The 52nd(Oxfordshire Light Infantry)Regiment of Foot were in 1881 known as the 2nd Battalion, Oxfordshire Light Infantry. The 43rd(Monmouthshire Light Infantry) Regt of Foot had become the 1st Bn, Oxfordshire Light Infantry in 1881.

On the 16th October 1908 the Oxfordshire Light Infantry was redesignated as the Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry

The Buckinghamshire element came from the old Royal Buckinghamshire Militia(Kings Own), which became the 3rd(Militia)Battalion, Oxfordshire Light Infantry on 1/7/1881.

This last unit isn't to be confused with the "Buckinghamshire Battalion", which started off life as a Rifle Volunteer Corps in 1859 and in 1881 became a Volunteer Bn of the Ox & Bucks L.I. before becoming a Territorial Force Bn in April 1908.

Graham.

Nick,

Looks like he's been posted(not transferred) as Drill Instructor to 1st N.R.V., and he was still officially serving with the 52nd when he was pensioned off.

Graham.

Chaps,

Thanks for the answers so far, much apperciated. Can anyone give an idea where to search for documents on him at the National Archive? WO117 has been tried without success.

Nick

Nick,

Try and find the Muster Roll Books for the 52nd. They may or may not be at Kew. Also try the Ox & Bucks L.I. Museum for any Regimental Rolls going back to that period. Can't guarantee you'll find any personal documentation, but you may find references to him through other documents.

As a one of try and see if the Norfolk Regiment Museum has any old photographs showing the Drill Instructors of the 1st Volunteer Bn, Norfolk Regiment or any photos of 1st V.B.,Norfolks.

Other than that you'll just have to keep at it.

Graham.

Nick

If he was discharged after 1882 see if his service record is in:

WO97/3810

Royal Hospital Chelsea Soldiers' Service Documents

1883-1900

[Men with surnames beginning] SAW-SAY

Prior to 1883 try:

WO97/2096

Muster rolls for 52nd Regiment of Foot are in WO12/6240 - 6315

Sue

Edited by SueL

Sue (and everyone else!),

Apologies for not coming back sooner.

I am indeed most appreciative for your replies and have passed the details on to my chum who even now is planning his next trip to access the records...

I have posed many questions to this forum in the past and am always tickled pink with the replies which are always excellent, informative and in good spirit.

That's why this forum is so good.

Regards

Nick

Edited by Nick

Nick

Perhaps ten days of nagging toothache made me rather more spikey than normal - I can actually be quite pleasant at times ;) although I think you also took the fall-out for several other peoples previous 'misdemeanours.' I've edited my reply and will leave you to do the same to yours.

Anyway, I am now two teeth lighter, and a length of cat-gut heavier, so my manners might well improve [then again... ]

Sue

'tis done!

Thanks, regards, and see you on another thread!

I hope the tooth fairy brings you something nice.

Nick