Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Bn. East Surrey Regiment

Chris_B

I'd be grateful if someone could tell me the location of the 1st East Surreys on and around 23/09/1915.

Thanks,

Chris.

If you can wait until tomorrow I will look it up in the ES diary extract I have at home covering this date. From memory I think they were on the Aisne at the time somewhere near Missy sur Aisne.

If you can wait until tomorrow I will look it up in the ES diary extract I have at home covering this date. From memory I think they were on the Aisne at the time somewhere near Missy sur Aisne.

Dear Squirrel Nutkins,

No rush, I'm very grateful for the offer.

Thanks,

Chris.

Hello Chris,

The 1st Bn were moved into bivouac outside St marguérite on that day, when they were relieved by the Dorset Regt. During the relief 6 men were wounded.

Before that they were in the line around Missy.

I think Missy would be Missy-sur-Aisne just east of Soissons.

Cheers

KOYLI

KOYLI,

Thanks. The SDGW shows three 1/East Surrey men the have been KIA that day, one of whom was a neighbour of my Grandfather.

Chris.

Chris B

I remember being in WH Smiths bookshop about 10 years ago and they were selling a paperback book of the !st Bn East Surrey Regiment during the First World War. It caught my eye because my g/grandfather was in the 1st Bn Queens Royal West Surrey Regt during WW1 and I thought it was about his battalion until I picked it up and looked closer. I can't remember what it was called but I think it was something like The East Surreys in The Great War.

Chris,

my source agrees with koyli on this.

The action at Missy-sur-Aisne is where Sgt Ridgeway shown on my "signature" was seriously wounded and died later in a Paris hospital.

Chris,

my source agrees with koyli on this.

The action at Missy-sur-Aisne is where Sgt Ridgeway shown on my "signature" was seriously wounded and died later in a Paris hospital.

Squirrel,

Thanks for checking your sources. Was Serjeant Ridgway a regular or reservist? From his CWGC entry it looks as if he may have been near the Aisne or Marne when wounded. You wonder who many of those men from 1914 made it to the end in 1918.

Regards,

Chris.

Chris,

Sergeant Ridgway was a regular and I will look up his service papers tonight and give you some info tomorrow. He was also a keen supporter of The Army Temperence Society as I have about six medals for him as well as his trio.

Chris,

L/9020 Sgt. Ridgway was a regular. Joined the 4th Battn. East Surrey Regiment Militia as no.4445 1/8/05 and joined the 1st Battn. East Surrey Regiment 21/9/06.

He was from Battersea, South London, married an Irish girl at some time and his home address is given as Kinsale, County Cork on the CWGC site.

Promoted Corporal 6/9/09, 13/11/12 signed on to complete 12 years service, 30/12/12 Lance Sergeant, 10/4/13 promoted Sergeant.

He was with the Battn. on mobilisation, the fighting at Mons and the retreat.

After crossing the Aisne he was wounded in the action at Missy-sur Aisne on September 14th and died of wounds 29th September in the Claridge Hotel Hospital in Paris. He is buried in the Citie de paris Cemetery Pantin.

During the action on the 14/9 the East Surreys had 1 Officer and 15 other ranks killed, 3 Officers and 81 other ranks wounded.

By the end of September there was not much of the original Battn. left and I should think that very few survived to the end of the war.

Squirrel,

Thankyou for telling me Sgt. Ridgway's story. You may already know this, but it is the Surrey History Centre 130 GOLDSWORTH ROAD, WOKING that now holds the East Surrey Regimental records. The catalogue number is 7502. I have a 67 page document which details its contents somewhere. If you send me a PM with your email address I send it to you if you are interested.

Regards,

Chris.