Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

graham stewart

bernardmcilwaine

graham,i have just bought,irish heroes in the war by felix lavery,i value your opinion,is it a good supporting reference book for your superior tyneside irish pals book,bernard

truth please,thanks

Bernard,

I didn't actually write "Tyneside Irish", that's John Sheens baby, but any material or information that I found during my own researches I passed onto John who in his very efficient way pursued.

"Irish Heroes", was the staritng point for Johns book and in my own opinion it's a very good book, although you have to remember that books written at this period of time have a rather different style to what we're used too. It was actually written for those of Irish descent who were living in the region at this time and you see that in the text, and it was written with pride.

There is a element of Irish Nationalism in it, which you will obviously note, but prior to the war Ireland was on the brink of Home Rule, depite the Curragh Incident and I'm certain had it not be for the outbreak of WWI they would have gotten it. If they had we would never have had the 1916 Easter Rising or the troubles of the 70's, 80's & 90's, and Ireland may have remained part of the Commonwealth, but that's my own opinion.

I have an original copy of "Irish Heroes" & Johns "Tyneside Irish", both of which have pride of place in my Northumberland Fusilier library. I hope you enjoy "Irish Heroes", as much as I did.

Regards,

Graham.