Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great Northern Rly Memorial

carninyj

Hi

Took this photo at Connolly Station in Dublin the other day. I was, given the post 1916 situation in Ireland, rather surprised to see it, especially since the inclusion of WW2 names would suggest it not all that old. Does anyone know anything about it?

I have made a list of names from a better (more pixels!) photo if anyone would like them. Quite a few appear to relate to what is now NI.

regards

Carninyj

post-3682-1120669128.jpg

Nice one ...

Cheers for that ... any locals J?

Des

Nice one ...

Cheers for that ... any locals J?

Des

There are no names that I currently recognise, though I don't find that surprising. The local lines were all LMSNCC (London Midland Scottish Northern Counties Committee?) and the Great Northern Rly (GNR), to which the tablet relates, was the old 'Antrim Branch' that went to Lisburn and then points south.

They spent a fortune some years ago re-opening the line to Lisburn and then building a link line across Belfast, a scheme which I think was later deemed a failure. Did they not then re-open the double track link south from Antrim to Belfast?

Guess who doesn't use public transport very much! You need a railway buff!

Regards

Carninyj

Hello All,

There is a similar plaque in Heuston Station. It is prominently displayed and I always notice it when passing through the station.

Regards,

Liam.

I think the GNR plaque was put up in each of their main stations - I know the same plaque was put up in Belfast and Derry.

Swizz

Thanks for the information folks. I'll have to keep my eyes open. It's amazing what's out there if you can see it!

Regards

Carninyj