Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visit to Somme

BULLDOGFOGG

Im organising a 4 day tour to the Somme, specifically to study the 1-3 Jul 16 timeline. Im taking upto 10 work colleagues and would ask any forum members for advice on the following:

a. Central campsite near Thiepval/Pozieres (tent/caravan)

b. A suitable itinerary

c. Tips on place to feed the hungry mass !

We are travelling from Germany so the road move is no problem.

regards

Kevin Fogg :D

There is a good campsite at Authuille. As Paul has said, if you use the forum's search facility you should find quite a few references to it and also to the municipal campsite in Albert.

There are two good restaurants quite near to the Authuille campsite. They are Auberge de la Vallée d'Ancre and La Taverne du Cochon Salé and there are other places in Albert. There are also Le Poppy restaurant at La Boiselle, Le Tommy Cafe at Pozieres and Avril Williams's guest house at Auchonvillers which does meals during the day.

Your main problem is going to be the itinerary, especially if you don't know your way around at all. You really need a guide book or two. "Before Endeavours Fade" by Rose E. B. Cooms is a good one which covers the whole of the Western Front. For the Somme itself there is "Major and Mrs. Holt's Battlefield Guide to the Somme" and if you have time to walk the battlefields rather than whizz around by car then you should look at "Walking the Somme" by Paul Reed. Guide books will help you plan your visit as well as being invaluable navigational aids when you get there.

Tom

There is a good campsite at Authuille.

Not wishing to be picky, but I'd rephrase that to there being an "adequate" camp-site at Authuille. It's OK, but not great, but is definately the best of a bad bunch in the area. (Although I believe the camping at the Velodrome in Albert has improved dramatically since my last stay - and that was definately the worst of a bad bunch!!! :D )

Dave.

Croonaert,

Rumjar told me that the Albert Velodrome campsite has improved since my visit in the late 80s. This can be found in this thread , I think, in April this year.

All the best,

Fred