Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Marlborough

mebu

Found some graffiti recently which says "HMS MARLBOROUGH TORPEDOED ON THE 16TH OF MAY 1916 JUTLAND BATTLE" Can anyone give any info on the accuracy or story of this? Many Thanks, Mebu

Jutland took place on 31 May 1916.

Marlborough - an Iron Duke Class battleship - was hit and damaged by a torpedo. 2 killed and 2 wounded.

Though only two lives were lost, damage to Marlborough from the torpedo hit was serious. The torpedo hit amidship and damaged an area some 70ft x 20 ft hole abreast the boiler rooms. During the battle proper, she was able to keep station at 17 knots, though her guns eventually were rendered useless by the ship's list to starboard. En route to the Humber the next day, Marlborough was down to 10 knots with a 39 foot draught (design mean draught: 29 feet, 6 inches). Repairs took six weeks.

The torpedo was fired by the German light cruiser Wiesbaden.

Best wishes,

Michael

Unfortunately I cannot add on HMS Marlborough, but graffiti about news items does seem to have been a habit. I know a church where under an arch in the chancel is recorded an earthquake being felt in the area - and the initials after the graffito make it clear that it must have been the VICAR who wrote it!

Adrian

Nearly true, except the date which should have been 31 May 1916. Marlborough did survive being torpedoed.

Mebu,

May I ask what the graffiti is on.

Rich.

The graffiti is some of the surviving writings on the cell walls of the abandoned WW1 military prison at Richborough, Kent. There was quite a lot, but the roof has gone and most of the whitewash has been washed off by rain. Can send some photos if you want....as I have recent photo of exterior, will post this. Peter.

Here is photo of jail, I have some photos of it under construction somewhere....but Richborough is another story.......Peter