Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

troop ship photos

Muerrisch

Any idea, please, where I might lay my hands on photos of these two troopships, used 10 to 13 August to carry 2RWF to France?

Working on the reasonable premise that between us we know everything, hands up the person in charge of that piece of knowledge.

Any idea, please, where I might lay my hands on photos of these two troopships, used 10 to 13 August to carry 2RWF to France?

The National Maritime Museum in Greenwich has a searchable database of historic photos you can order. (which I just checked for you), they have 3 or 4 of the Vera, but there's no reference to the other ship that I could find. Unfortunately, there's not actual photos to view, just the reference, so you'll be ordering blind.

I would say this is a great resource for anyone after images of either warships or troopers of the era

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/

go to 'collections and research', then 'historic photos'. You can also search for artworks as well.

Details of the vera below

VERA (Br) 50.3 1898

Cross channel passenger steamer, Southampton-Channel IslandsSouthern Railway

P30309 (4P) B 6 Jun. 1924 Under way in Southampton Water at Netley.

VERA (Br) 50.3 1898

Cross channel passenger steamer, Southampton-Channel Islands service

London & South Western Railway Company

P21189 (3S) B Under way. Open promenade deck.

P21190 (3P) B Under way. Forward part of promenade deckplated in.

Fantastic. Flash to bang time virtually zero. Photos of the two ships ordered already. Thanks to my helpers. Between us we know almost everything [well, I don't know much, and I often forget what I do know]. Its annoying when all you remember is that you used to know a thing or two.