Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

visiting tips asked

Guest Marijke

Guest Marijke

On 16th July we would like to visit the Ypers, Westhoek area.

We have only one day to visit so I would like to have some tips where we should go first and what we shouldn't miss. We also like to visit the Paschendale Museum in Zonnebeke. Is this all to do in one day?

Guest Marijke

addition.

We are special interested in the area that the Worchester Regiment took in the Westhoek area at 10/11 August 1917 during the 3rd Battle of Ypers. Great if we could have some tips if there is a walking area there or museums, points of vue to visit there.

Marijke

Westhoek is a lovely walking area and not far from Kemmel, which is a must as there are the bunkers in the hillside to see and if you go to the top the hill you can see why the germans wanted Kemmel so much as you can see Ypres and all around the Messines Ridge from there. There is no musuem in Westhoek.

As for the Worcesters I have a friend over here who is also very interested in them and can give you a lot of information - if you e-mail me about details etc I can arrange for him to probably meet up with you and show exactly where the Worcesters went.

Liz

Guest Marijke

Thank you very much Paul and Liz for the very useful tips.

Liz, would be very nice to meet up with your friend. Will discuss it with my friend and send you email about details as soon as possible.

Marijke

Thanks

Looking forward to meeting you.

Liz

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Marijke

Hi Paul,

Last Saturday we went to the Battlefield and indeed visited Hooge Crater Museum and Yorkshire Trenches. It was really a great recommendation. For me the Yorkshire Trenches were very impressive, to realise what they built under the ground with almost bare hands! Then bear in mind what weather circumstances they had, all mud and severe rain, makes you feel very small!

Thanks again for your help.

My Webpage

Hi Marijke

I am glad you had a good time in Ypres last weekend, Martin has e-mailed and said our friend helped you with a lot of information and showed you a few places where the Worcesters were.

Hopefully you will be coming over again and we will be able to help some more.

Best wishes

Liz

Guest Marijke

Hi Liz,

Yes it all had great impression on us both and we certainly come back as we both feel our investigations have only started since last saturday. We already intend to come september/october abt. and we will certainly contact you to stay at your place and ask your friend to help us again and go together with us to the Westhoek area under the A19.

best wishes

Marijke

Guest Marijke

Hi Aurel,

Thank you very much for sending me the link of the website of the digging activities of the yorkshire trench! Great to read it all.

Yes there is a Dutch Deurne too! (differs a lot from Deurne near to Antwerp :-) .

Greetz Marijke

Hi Marijke

It would be good to see and come with you to the westhoek area. Ramsus is very interesting and knows so much about the Worcesters. I have recently found out that I had Gt Uncles in the Worcester Regiment who like millions of others did not make it back. So I also would be interested to find out more.

Liz