Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd East Lancashire regiment

doogal

Hi All,

I've been reading the war diary for the 2nd East Lancashire Regiment for February 1915. Now, I know they fought as part of the 8th Division, but this particulr diary is quite vague on specific locations, so was hoping someone could help me out.

The locations mentioned are as follows:

Line A

The Redoubt

Linque (?)

It does mention "the salient" - but I didn't want to assume it was The Salient, as it was so early in the war, and it could have been a localised salient as opposed to the front at Ypres.

thanks

regards

doogal

I don't have my 8th Div history to hand, but they were in the line around Fleurbaix at this time; certainly south of Armentieres. They might help matching up some of the locations.

The 8th Divnl History dismisses February 1915 in a page. The division was in the Line on quite a frontage, from Neuve Chapelle to Rue du Bois. The weather was wet, the Lys flooded, and much of the land was inundated. The Line was held lightly.

At the end of the month, as part of the preparations for the forthcoming offensive, the Division handed a large part of its Line over to the Meerut Division and the 7th Division. As far as I can tell, 24th Bde (including the E Lancs) were in the Neuve Chapelle part of the Line.

Doogal.

The 2/ELR were in the region of Port Arthur near Neuve Chappelle, with "A Lines" practically following the road from Estaires to La Bassee.

The "salient" could be the Port Arthur Salient (the tip of which was aptly named "Suicide Corner"!)

Dave.

The 2/ELR were in the region of Port Arthur near Neuve Chappelle, with "A Lines" practically following the road from Estaires to La Bassee.

The "salient" could be the Port Arthur Salient (the tip of which was aptly named "Suicide Corner"!)

A map's better than a description...(From the regimental history)...

post-357-1120652432.jpg

Hi Croonaert, Steve and Paul,

Brief note to say many thanks for the help on this. It helps a great deal with the war diary I've got, and gives me a much better sense of the place.

do you want a copy of the diary (thinking about it, I could get it posted under the forum diary section) Can still do copies if you would like one for the month of Feb. 1915

thanks

doogal

• 3 months later...
Hi Croonaert, Steve and Paul,

Brief note to say many thanks for the help on this. It helps a great deal with the war diary I've got, and gives me a much better sense of the place.

do you want a copy of the diary (thinking about it, I could get it posted under the forum diary section) Can still do copies if you would like one for the month of Feb. 1915

thanks

doogal

hi i have just joined and am researching my great grandfather Anthony Gaskarth who served with the 2nd battalion east lancs from oct 1914 to the end of the war can you please advise if you have any copies of the war diaries for the 2nd battalion east lancs and if so how you got them am trying at present to get a copy of the history of the east lancs regiment by DP and G Military publishers would be grateful for any advise on where to find out more details of my great grandfathers service I know he was quite a hard man who was promoted 3 times to sergeant and demoted 3 times for drunk and disorderly behaviour and getting into fights and fought at Villers brettoneux in the thick of it and was very proud of fighting with the australians who he admired as tough fighters.Any help or information gratefully received. delphi