Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Suitters

Desmond7

Any Canadians on tonight?

Need a citation for a Suitters/Sutters/Suiters .. originally from Ireland. Wins MM. Will try and get more info.

Thanks

Des

Hi Des,

I have just ordered Harry Abbink's book on CEF MM's, long out of print and hard to find, which lists all twelve thousand or so awards, with gazette dates,etc. Sadly, no citations, which might be impossible to put in one volume. There are CEF volumes for the DSO, MC, and DCM which give citations.

The Abbink book hasn't arrived yet. If you eventually find a gazette date, generally the earlier the better. For 1916-17, I have had good luck with citations; 1918-19, not much luck at all. I use Arnie Kay to track down my needs, but I recall that the Canadian Department of Veterans Affairs at one time could provide citations. Perhaps one of the other Canadian Pals might have more info.

Cheers,

Terry

Hi Des. From the copy & paste database I've been putting together on C.E.F. M.M.s, I have a listing of a Pte. S. Sutter, #460169, gazetted in Issue 30188, 17 July, 1917, link. Unfortunately, the on-line Canadian Archives are not working tonight so I can't say where he was from though I can say his Regimental Number indicates he enlisted with the 61st Infantry Battalion in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

I've only done as far as mid November 1917 so there could be another one listed.

As Terry said, once you can confirm your man, try contacting Veteran's Affairs Canada, and ask them for help. They are extremely helpful.

In Abbink and Abbink's Military Medal Canadian Recipients, there is one Sutter. Details as follows, Sutter S., Pte 460169 London Gazette 18 July 1917.

The chance of finding a citation is a crap shoot. Sometimes they may be in the solider's personnel file, sometimes mention is in the War Diary. Often all one finds is the Gazette entry.

As usual my thanks to the Canadian Contingent! He's my man. Cheers for all.