Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Adcock brothers

Krithia

Has any pal got a photo of either Frederick or Frank Adcock, 11th AIF ? They were brothers from Perth, Western Australia, but orignally from Melton Mowbray in England. Both were killed during the Anzac landings at Gallipoli on 25th April 1915. A photo would be superb, or any other information relating to these men would be gratefully received.

Thanks, Steve

hi steve no photos onlyinfo got is the following frederick brenchley adcock 1044 frank henry burton adcock 394 sons of john/charlotte of34 richardson street perth frank was a apprentice mechanic at wolf and co liverpool before the family moved to australia

These two men enlisted & Lived in Fremantle after coming out from England. The information I have on them is as follows.

No.394 - Pte Frank Henry Burton Adcock - KIA 25/04/1915 - Baby 700 Cemetery D.24 - Born Melton Mowbray England - Enlisted 08/09/1914 - Student Farmer Age 25 - Lived on the corner of Solomon & South St Fremantle - Next of Kin - (Mother) CM Adcock

No.1044 - Pte Frederick Benchley Adcock - KIA 25/04/1915 - Lone Pine Memorial - Born Melton Mowbray England - Enlisted 08/09/1914 - Sailor Age 21 - Lived on the corner of Solomon & South St Fremantle - Next of Kin - (Father)

In regards to photos, so far I have only found one in the Western Mail in 1915.

I'll have to dig it up at home but I recall seeing some info that Frederick Adcock was seen on the beach badly wounded on the evening of April 25th.

As he has no known grave perhaps he was one of those who died on the hospital ships and was buried at sea.

I have a photo I took of Frank Adcock's grave on Baby 700 if it's of any use.

Regards

Andrew

Steve,

If you haven't seen them already, have a look at the 'Red Cross Missing and Wounded Files' on the Aust War Memorial site http://www.awm.gov.au/database/1drl428.asp

Just type in Adcock and then read the files of both these men. They are eventually established as having been kia on 25/4/15 but their mother maintains she received a letter from them dated 1/5/15 and there were reports of them being in hospital in England.

Tim L.

Steve/Andrew/Tim, thanks all for this. I had not seen the "Red Cross Missing and Wounded Files" before for these chaps, it was well worth the look, with a lot of detail.

Andrew, I hope you can find the photo in the 'Western Mail', is this newspaper online ?

Hi Steve

Unfortunately the Western Mail paper is no longer around & the photo's aren't on line though there is an on-line index of photos listed in it for 1915.

The WA State Library hold microfiche copies of the paper, so I'll see what sort of copies I can get done from them.

I won't be able to get in there for a couple of weeks though, but I'll let you know once I've done it.

Cheers

Andrew

• 6 months later...

Hi Steve

Sorry about the delay in getting around to this but finally have the photos of Frederick & Frank Adcock from the Western Mail.

If you PM me your e-mail address I'll send them through to you.

Regards

Andrew