Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photographer of individual soldier

Connaught Ranger

I noticed in the newspaper obituary for L/Cpl Hugh McAnally 6 Connaught Rangers in the Ballymena Observer that the photograph was credited "Photo by Young"

How could I find out who this was? I wonder do negatives exist, possibly in a museum or a roof-space?

'Con' - bit of info for you ... he is listed as having joined 6th Cons. pre-May 7 1915. About Young's .. I don't know.

Des

The British Newspaper Library might be able to take a photograph of the original picture from the newspaper it appeared in, I am getting them to do one for me so I can see what sort of quality these type of photos produce. I think it all depends on the state of the original. I haven’t had a firm price back from them yet, but I am expecting them to ask for somewhere around £22. If the photo you mention is special to you it might be worth a try.

http://www.bl.uk/collections

British Library Newspapers

Colindale Avenue

London

NW9 5HE

I'm sure you have this Con . but this digi image from the old paper may be some use? I know spelling is wrong .. but also worth noting no cap badge ... early days of the Kitchener mob? I reckon he must have been 'in' very quick.

post-1582-1120599658.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The photo I have received is probably around the same as the one above for clarity and quality.

Tony.

(They are filling hand grenades)

post-3707-1122134929.jpg

• 4 months later...
I noticed in the newspaper obituary for L/Cpl Hugh McAnally 6 Connaught Rangers in the Ballymena Observer that the photograph was credited "Photo by Young"

How could I find out who this was? I wonder do negatives exist, possibly in a museum or a roof-space?

this soldier is buried in Portglenone,co Antrim in the Roman Catholic graveyard...beside my grandfathers grave. hihs family or relative still live near portglenone.

did you ever find a picture?