Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sassoon's son

paul guthrie

He had a son George born in the '30s. He did not have a lot of contact with him after he married at 18. What happened to him? He could easily be alive. Thanks.

Paul

George Sassoon became a writer of short articles/stories who earned his living as a translator. He had a house at Lochbuie on the Isle of Mull and another at 2 Campbell Place, Sutton Veny, Wilts. (which is not far from his father's home at Heytesbury House). He alternated between the two depending on what work he was undertaking. As far as I'm aware he is still living.

Dave

Paul

To my knowledge, George Sassoon died some years ago. Tragically, Siegfried's grandson and granddaughter also died in a car crash a few years ago. Thus, this side of the family is no more and Heytesbury Manor was sold.

This was sad for me as the village cricket pitch was in the grounds of the house. I recall playing the village, which had both Siegfried and Edmund Blunden in the team, and having my best bowling analysis ever, despatching five villagers and two trench poets. The match tea was in the Manor and was about the most sumptuous that I have ever had.

Charles M

I would have been content to have been thrashed round the park just to be in the poets' company for an afternoon. I am sitting here radiating waves of envy.

Charles that's an incredible story! I wish you would do a bit about it in Stand To! Volume 2 of the J M Wilson biography of Sassoon has a lot about the house and cricket there. Indeed as you say he began playing again. Sorry about these poor people being killed but what a story!About the sumptous tea, I bet, SS spent money like water.

Charles, as Paul says, you must write about that cricket match! I love the story from 'Fox Hunting Man' where Sassoon recounts a match played in his village.

I'll be reading Stand To with interest, hoping this will appear.

Ditto - look forward to this story appearing in Stand To where I am sure it will be really appreciated, afterall this is a link with one of THE great names to come out of WW1 ... The Hand that Bowled Sassoon ... Get writing or we'll have to bombard yr inbox with requests/reminders!!

Charles, sorry, its not optional. For posterity, please.

Mind you, there are lots more ways of getting a batsman out than Bowled.

Go for it.

Please

Charles you know we arent going to let this lie until you have written at least a short account. Scores arent that important, it is the richness of the occasion we want you to share with us .... please!!

Sadly, I am going to have to disappoint my fans. I checked in my letters home from school and established that the event took place in 1957, when I was playing for a house Sunday afternoon team, which took on local villages. I was at Siegfried's old school Marlborough, in which he took a great interest in his latter years, often coming over to watch matches.

The relevant letter mentions little, apart from the fact that I apparently did clean bowl Sassoon. I seem to have been more excited about being promoted L Cpl in the Combined Cadet Force! What I do recall is that Sassoon was tall and shy, with a wistful expression, while Blunden was small, but with a twinkle in his eye.

That apart, any account that I did furnish would rely heavily on my imagination and the historian in me rather baulks at that.

Sorry!

Charles M