Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembered Today

Paul Reed

How nice to see Gilbert Nagle's name remembered on the Forum today. I always visit his grave when I am at Arras on a tour; and often tell his story.

From a English-Irish family, he was an original officer of the 7th Battalion and fought with them overseas from May 1915. He became adjutant to Lieutenant Colonel A.J.Sansom, a former Hasting headmaster. Nagle and Sansom were standing on the steps of their former German dugout on Infantry Hill, Monchy, watching flares light up the battlefield when a stray shell landed at their feet; their men brought them back to Arras for burial - they are buried side by side. Sansom had a letter in his pocket informing him that the War Office was sending him home to resume his headmastership.

Below is a picture of Gilbert Nagle.

post-6-1120555294.jpg

Had a quick scan through the London Gazette to try to find Gilbert's award of the Military Cross...............Couldn't find it :( ..................He was mentioned a couple of times though.............Issue dated 9th May 1916 makes reference to a notice of his temporary Captaincy from 20th March 1916 & Issue dated 20th Ocotber 1916 has a notice of Gilbert becoming battalion Adjutant as of 10th August.................Anyone any idea how his MC was earned?

Paul,

A couple more for the grave-a-day photo project for next year. ;) Interesting to see the Infantry Hill connection as always for me.

Thanks Guys - from memory his MC was for Ovillers 7th July 1916; but I do not have my copy of the 7th Battalion History to hand to check.

Just remembered the book on Royal Sussex Hons & Awards. His MC was London Gazette 15th April 1916:

For conspicuous courage, when, though wounded, he continued his duties, inspiring all ranks of his command with confidence. He organised a skillful defence, and repelled two attacks.

Must be for the Battle of the Hohenzollern Craters in early 1916.

Just remembered the book on Royal Sussex Hons & Awards. His MC was London Gazette 15th April 1916:

For conspicuous courage, when, though wounded, he continued his duties, inspiring all ranks of his command with confidence. He organised a skillful defence, and repelled two attacks.

Must be for the Battle of the Hohenzollern Craters in early 1916.

Excellent, thanks for clarifying that Paul.