Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Could this be a service number?

Garron

on the reverse of a photo is written

The Boy whom I have marked is the one who workes and sleeps with me in our office,

my address, 187644 ?Driver 80? then its either M or W Pinnell

F.M.C office

5 reserve brigade R.F.A

somthing Camp Catterick

could 187644 be his service number? and if it is how could i use it to find some information about him?

The number 187644 produces 3 MIC's (Medal Index Cards) when checked online - type it into here for details: http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...=*&queryType=1#

Therefore the number could indeed be a service number. However if the individual did not serve abroad (and reference to a reserve brigade pretty much suggests that he didn't) then no MIC would exist in any case, and none of the 3 MIC's seem remotely similar to your names so I doubt I've helped!

Edited by Andrew Hesketh

That number certainly could be a RFA number

However, he doesn't seem to be in the Medal Index Cards search database under that number. It may be that he did not serve overseas (at least with that number). The TF (Territorial Force) soldiers of the Artillery, Infantry and Royal Engineers were re-numbered in early 1917, so he could have gone overseas after that time with a different number. Or indeed, never at all.

Steve.

EDIT: Sorry, Andrew. Passed in the post.

Just to reiterate, he could still have served abroad if he didn't go abroad until 1917. His MIC would not record the earlier number if he did not go abroad while numbered with it.

Garron,

Quite possibly. When a soldier was referred to his Regimental number was always quoted first. Just to make sure you realised you were only a number and remembered your place no doubt!

What can be done with it depends greatly on the period of the photo. A check using 187644 in the National Archive online MIC site does not return anyone named PINNELL, so it is either not a number or it the photo is post Great War. There were several W PINNELLs in the RFA but not with anything approximating that 'number'.

Steve

i really appreciate your help guys, trouble is with my family they were never that close, and only ones who would remember him are probably dead now, so its going to be hard, and I dont really know how he's related to me anyway.

well thanks to you all for looking,

Garron

Garron - dont give up! You've got a tough one, but stick with it and keep throwing ideas and questions at the forum. You never know, a breakthrough may come. Could I recommend that you post a scan of the picture and the writing. I notice that you seem uncertain as to exactly what it says and others may read it differently. Therein could lie a new avenue of enquiry........

Stebie - yes we replied simultaneously. It's comforting that we were making the same basic point though!

As Andrew asked

Here is the front and reverse and front of the other image with out the caps

scan0005.jpg

You can see the man incicated with and arrow on the right

heres the back with the writing on

scan0006.jpg

Garron,

Have just seen the reverse of the post card and can tell you it is his regimental number and he's a Driver. The address is the Quarter Master Sergeants Office, 5th Reserve Brigade, Scotton Camp, Catterick.

Graham.

So regimantal number is differnet to service number?

as you can tell i really have no idea,

firearms is more my thing

Garron - you are right. A regimental number is different from a service number and the important thing is that during WW1 soldiers only had regimental numbers. Of course this meant that it was possible for several soldiers to have the same number, but this wouldn't be a serious problem as they would all be in different regiments. If a soldier transferred from one battalion of his regiment to another, he would keep his number. But if he transferred from one regiment to another, he would be given a new number.

Hope this helps -

Tom

Also I notice in the picture that at least one of the men had served overseas. The chap front left has a good service chevron and a wound stripe on his left sleeve.

great, and i agree putting the pic up was a good idea as i know more than i did before, i loaded it on here