Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5th Cavalry

Swally

Guys,

my great uncle died as a POW at Lagansalza in Germany in 1918 in the process of looking up his MIC and the likes I have discovered that he was in the 5th Reserve Cavalry, Service Number 2222. He enlisted in Ayrshire date unknown.

He was with the Royal Scots "A" Coy 16th Batt, I also found out that he served with the 2nd Batt also.

Has anyone any ideas on how he moved from one unit to another and if theyhave any info on this Batt

Ally

Swally,

5th Reserve Cavalry Regiment;-

Formed on mobilization in Aug 1914 at York affiliated to 1st & 2nd Dragoons. In the summer of 1915 the 3rd Line units of four Yeomanry Regiments were affiliated - Northumberland Hussars, Yorkshire Dragoons, Yorkshire Hussars and the East Riding Yeomanry. There were no changes until early in 1917 when the Regiment was absorbed into the new 6th Reserve Cavalry Regiment at Tidworth.

A new 5th Reserve Cavalry Regiment was formed in earl 1917 at Tidworth from the 11th and 13th Res. Cav. Regts, affiliated to the 10th, 14th, 18th and 20th Hussars, also the Gloucestershire Yeomanry, Northumberland Hussars, Warwickshire & Worcestershire Yeomanry and the Yorkshire Hussars. Early in 1918 the Regiment ceased to be brigaded and the Yorkshire Hussars left when the 1st Line unit was dismounted and absorbed into the West Yorkshire Regt.

This is from "British Regiments 1914-1918" by E.A. James.

Graham.