Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

kings own royal lancaster regiment

Guest linda gatley

Guest linda gatley

My great grandfather Edward Rushworth died in Salford Lancashire in 1919 age 37 of malaria. He was pensioned out of the Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment, he received the Victory, British, and 15 star medal along with the Silver War Badge. As he contracted malaria I wondered where he would have served? His MIC states what looks like (5a) Asia. He entered the theatre of war on 25/10/15. Any info much appreciated! B)

The 1st Battalion served in India

The 2nd Battalion served in India & Salonika

The 6th Battalion served in Mesopotamia

The 9th Battalion served in Salonika

What was his service number? That might narrow it down further.

Regards,

Ken

Guest linda gatley
The 1st Battalion served in India

The 2nd Battalion served in India & Salonika

The 6th Battalion served in Mesopotamia

The 9th Battalion served in Salonika

What was his service number? That might narrow it down further.

Regards,

Ken

I'm afraid I don't have his service number, the only number is his Regiment number 17413. But thanks for the info it gives me a bit more to go on!

Regards

Linda

Linda,

That's what I meant. His regimental service number.

Actually, looking at Soldiers Died in the Great War and comparing similar numbers with his doesn't tell me very much. Quite a few battalions are represented with similar service numbers.

But, the 6th Battalion could be the favourite, since they were in Mesopotamia throughout 1915 and suffered quite heavy losses in August 1915 which would explain a fairly regualr flow of reinforcements to them in the later months of 1915.

A search for his service records at the National Archives might be needed to find out for sure. Or maybe it would be worth enquiring at the regimental museum in Lancaster.

Hope that helps a little.

Regards,

Ken

hiya linda,his number was 17413 like you said,he was discharged 12-7-17,was benjamin+frank his brothers,bernard

Guest linda gatley
Linda,

That's what I meant. His regimental service number.

Actually, looking at Soldiers Died in the Great War and comparing similar numbers with his doesn't tell me very much. Quite a few battalions are represented with similar service numbers.

But, the 6th Battalion could be the favourite, since they were in Mesopotamia throughout 1915 and suffered quite heavy losses in August 1915 which would explain a fairly regualr flow of reinforcements to them in the later months of 1915.

A search for his service records at the National Archives might be needed to find out for sure. Or maybe it would be worth enquiring at the regimental museum in Lancaster.

Hope that helps a little.

Regards,

Ken

Sorry Ken! I'm not quite au fait yet with all the terminology! I plan to visit the Regimental museum in Lancaster very soon I hope, and maybe find out some more. Many thanks for your input, this is all new to me, but I am looking forward to finding out more about Edward and where he served.

Regards,

Linda

My great grandfather Edward Rushworth died in Salford Lancashire in 1919 age 37 of malaria. He was pensioned out of the Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment, he received the Victory, British, and 15 star medal along with the Silver War Badge.

There is a fair chance that the battalion(s) that he served in would be shown in the medal rolls proper.

Andy

Guest linda gatley
hiya linda,his number was 17413 like you said,he was discharged 12-7-17,was benjamin+frank his brothers,bernard

Hi Bernard, I'm having difficulty finding Edwards birth certificate, and consequently any siblings he may have had. I have his marriage cert from 1902 and his father was an Alfred Rushworth, Mechanic. I'm unable to find him on any census returns either! I also have his death cert which set me on this course of finding out more about his army service in WW1.

Regards

Linda

Guest dannytruell

Linda

If you e-mail the Regimental Museum with your home address and the details of your enquiry, I have found them to be extremely helpful. kingsownmuseum@iname.com

rgds

Guest linda gatley
Linda

If you e-mail the Regimental Museum with your home address and the details of your enquiry, I have found them to be extremely helpful. kingsownmuseum@iname.com

rgds

Thanks, I will do!

Linda

Linda

Peter Donnelly is the chap to contact at the Kings Own museum. He's the curator and very helpful. Very quick to respond to enquiries as well.

Regards. Pete

hiya linda,do you think he originally came from yorkshire,the bulk of rushworths seem to come from there,bernard

Guest linda gatley
hiya linda,do you think he originally came from yorkshire,the bulk of rushworths seem to come from there,bernard

Hi Bernard, Yes I think that is quite likely, but I can't really be sure yet. He's been impossible to find on the 1891 and 1901 census. The nearest I have come to finding a possible birth entry is a Ned Rushworth born in Leeds in 1880. I have almost resigned myself to wait for the 1911 census to be released before I find where he was born!

By the way I have sent an email to the Lancaster Regiment Museum, so am eagerly awaiting a reply! I think we may even pay a visit this weekend.

Regards

Linda

Hi Linda,

Is it possible that your man was a regular in the Kings Own ? If so you may find him in the 1901 census at Bowerham Barracks, Lancaster. Thats where I found my Grandfather.

The service number you have has , I have to say thrown me on that score though.

It may be worth a try.

Pete.

Linda,

This is speculation on my part because I can't find anything in my books to back it up but it may be that the 6/KORLR had some form of depot in India, either serving the battalion or perhaps 38th Brigade or a higher formation. This could explain a few things, not least of which is why there are several King's Own men commemorated on the Kirkee 1914-1918 Memorial?

It seems to me that perhaps newly arrived or recuperating men may have been posted to India before being moved on to 13th Div. in Mesopotamia. The movements of the battalion at the beginning of 1916 are somewhat puzzling. 13th Division (including 6/KORLR) embarked for Basra on February 12th and had moved up the Tigris to Kut by March 21st. However, I do know that there were still some 6/KORLR men in Egypt in May, 1916 because I have traced one of them who drowned at Port Said on May 6th!

Hope Peter Donnelly can shed some light on it for you.

Best wishes.

Andy.

Photo of Kirkee Memorial panel courtesy of Pal Paul Nixon.

post-754-1121360063.jpg