Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/4th Queens

dorrie

My Uncle served in the 2/4th Queens and spent time at gallipoli, Middle East, and finally in France his MIC shows Theatre of it says (2B) Balkans. Idf the 2 b refers to the second battalion then as far as I am aware they never spent time in the balkans.

Any ideas

Tim,

The (2B) is a number reference for the Theatre of War. France & Flanders is Theatre (1) for example. The number and name is just stating things twice.

It is not referring to the 2nd Battalion of the Regulars.

If he was in the 2/4th Battalion TF then he would have gome to Gallipoli with 160th Brigade of 53rd Division.

Steve.

From Ray Westlake’s ‘British Regiments at Gallipoli’

2/4th Battalion (TF) The Queen’s (Royal West Surrey Regt)

17th July 1915; sailed from Devonport on ‘Ulysses

28th July; arrived Alexandria, then on 30th Port Said

4th August; sailed for Lemnos,

7th August; arrived Mudros Harbour and from there sailed strait for Gallipoli

Night of 8th/9th August; landed at ‘C’ Beach, Suvla

Strength 27 officers and 900 other ranks

13th December 1915; embarked ‘El Kahirah’ at 1930 hrs

14th December; and sailed for Mudros at 0100 hrs

Strength 14 officers and 224 other ranks

Total casualties – 4 officers and 78 other ranks killed, died of wounds or missing;

9 officers and 198 other ranks wounded;

4 other ranks died of disease

16 officers, 400 other ranks invalided by disease

Battle honours – ‘Suvla’ ‘Landing at Suvla’ ‘Scimitar Hill’ ‘Gallipoli 1915’

For further details I recommend Westlake’s book

Regards

Michael D.R.

Dorrie

If you want any specifics I have a copy of both the history of the Queens in the Great War and the history of the 4th Queens. If you give me his name he may get a mention in the 4th's history as it's more anecdotal than historical. Never know your luck

All the best Hambo

His name was Franci (Frank tapp). my original query was about his MIC showing that the theatre of war was the Balkans but as far as I am aware the 2/4th never went to the Balkans

Dorrie

That's correct, they served at Gallipoli embarking on the 13th of December 1915 reaching Alexandria on the 19th. Stayed in Egypt/Palstine/Gaza leaving for France in on the 18th of June 1918. They docked at Taranto on the 21st and entrained for the front where they joined 34th Division 101st Brigade. They were in the Courtrai area at the armistice.

Your uncle dosn't get a mention in the 4th battalion history but as I say if you want any specific action transcribed I'd be happy to do it

Hambo

Thanks for the infomation Stebie9173

dorrie you have any of your uncles medals or paper work?

I collect WW1 medals to the Queen's Regiment

I have his 1915 star & Victory Medal in my collection but not his British War Medal.

Neil

Neil Unfortunately I do not have any of his medals and my mum his sister who is still alve was only a few months old when he returned form the war in 1919. Any chance of a photo to show my mum who would really like to see them

Thansk for information

Ps Thanks Hambo for your info as well

Dorrie

Guest Bill100727
Dorrie

If you want any specifics I have a copy of both the history of the Queens in the Great War and the history of the 4th Queens. If you give me his name he may get a mention in the 4th's history as it's more anecdotal than historical. Never know your luck

All the best Hambo

Hi Lads, Hambo, Tim, Michael, Steve and Neil, Below is a copy that I sent to RWS HQ, in Surrey, don't have what I am looking for unfortunately, maybe we can get the old nose pointed in the right direction here, let's hope so.

Bill.

Dear Sir or Madam,

I was searching for 2nd-4th Queens Regiment when I came across your site, I have my Grandfathers discharge document, (Please find copy attached),

He did have at one time I recall, a regimental publication, a journal I suppose you would call it, published probably in the early 20's, it depicted a photo' of himself and another chap, who was quite tall, our George was quite short, the caption as I recall was, 'Tiny Tim and Chippie Maile, I carry the memory that he was known as 'Chippie Maile of Kantara' the first white man to enter this place, I don't know whether this is true or not.

Private George W Maile 201118, (Service, 12th October 1914 - 17th February 1919) was a boxing enthusiast, he won an army championship whilst serving, I had always assumed that he won it between the wars, because he was 35 years of age at the time, that Cup in a glass dome was always on the piano, but it wasn't until his discharge document came into my possession, that I realised that this happened in 1914, he being 35 years of age at the time.

George carried on with his boxing after the war, going to various 'Baths' around London, doing 3 rounders, sometimes 3 different venues in one evening, marvellous pay, 5 shillings a bout..!

Anyway, I have a request, would it be possible to obtain a copy of the Journal I have referred to, as it appears I am the only descendant that has knowledge of it.

I will forward my address as and when required,

Please reply,

Bill Whicker (Mother nee Maile).

P.S. I am told a Journal was published by the Battalion, in 1916 and 1919, 'The Braganza'. (Picture, Gran and Grandad, 1948-49, Happy days, post to 'Soldiers')

Dorrie

I will not be back at work until Wednesday next week i will post photos then

Regards

Neil

Photos as promised

Both Read: 3215 Pte F Tapp The Queen's R.

His British War Medal is missing (It may have gone the the silver melting pot in the 80's, many did unfortunately.)

Neil

Neil

many many thanks for the photographs. My mother I am sure will be thrilled to see them.

Again

Thanks

Dorrie

• 2 weeks later...

Bill

I have just caught up on this thread and I have in my book a picture entitled "Chippy" Maile and "Tiny" Dennington! "Chippy" being half "Tiny's" height

This book was published in 1931 for the old comrades of the 1/4th 2/4th and 3/4th as a book of anecdotes of their service together. "Chippy" Maile of Kantara is mentioned at a reunion of old soldiers who paraded together in 1930. It doesn't mention how he came by the title although he went into Kantara to "liberate" a case of sherry to celebrate his birthday, his comrades presenting arms to him dressed only in their shirts in honour of the occasion.

I'm off on hols in the morning for a couple of weeks but when I get back I'll be happy to scan a copy to you if you're interested (it's quite small but I'll do my best!)

All the very best Hambo

Guest Bill100727
Bill

I have just caught up on this thread and I have in my book a picture entitled "Chippy" Maile and "Tiny" Dennington! "Chippy" being half "Tiny's" height

This book was published in 1931 for the old comrades of the 1/4th 2/4th and 3/4th as a book of anecdotes of their service together. "Chippy" Maile of Kantara is mentioned at a reunion of old soldiers who paraded together in 1930. It doesn't mention how he came by the title although he went into Kantara to "liberate" a case of sherry to celebrate his birthday, his comrades presenting arms to him dressed only in their shirts in honour of the occasion.

I'm off on hols in the morning for a couple of weeks but when I get back I'll be happy to scan a copy to you if you're interested (it's quite small but I'll do my best!)

All the very best Hambo

Hambo that's fantastic, you are worth more money, I have tried looking up museums whatever, but I always seem to be going around the world for sixpence, sort of like chasing your own tail..! You are to be commended, I am delighted and appreciative. My e-mail address is: weg01@optusnet.com.au. Location: Fairfield West, Sydney.

REgards,

Bill Whicker.