Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where on earth is ‘Spike Island’?

Duncan

I’ve just received an Irish Death Certificate to a Gunner Andrew Archibald. He was born at Lanark and lived and enlisted at Cowdenbeath, Scotland. He served with the 10th Depot Company, Royal Garrison Artillery and didn’t serve overseas, but died at Queenstown, Ireland in 1917.

On his death certificate it states, ‘Andrew Archibald from Spike Island’. Does anyone know what this Spike Island refers to?

Cheers,

Duncan.

We've got a small area of land here in Bristol called Spike Island - but that ain't any real help - sorry.

Les.

If you have no luck with Queenstown try Cobh.

I tried it out of curiosity.

"Spike Island

Spike Island was a naval fort and still has some impressive bunkers and guns pointing at the entrance of Cork harbour. It is now a prison with interesting possible escape routes at spring tides (splatch through lovely thick mud). I think there are boat trips out there for tourists."

Source: http://www.dspsrv.com/~jamesc/cobh.html

PALS

Just for the sake of completness and a little along side of the original question.SPIKE ISLAND in BRISTOL is a narrow strip of land which lies between the docks,the old river, and the new cut.Which ever way you approach it ,on land you have to go over a bridge with,originally water undernaeth them.Hence the expresion island and spike because it is shapedlike a spike.Could there be a similar reason for the noming of your SPIKE ISLAND ?

CHEERS.

JOHN :D

Hello All,

Spike Island is indeed a small island in Cork Harbour. It is about a half mile from Cobh - which used to be known as Queenstown. It was, until recent times, a military prison.

Regards,

Liam.

I understood that wooden stockaded areas formed of logs cut to a point on top became called spike island. One such construction was apparently erected in the 19th C in my home area of Southampton. Natives of Sholing, Southampton were often known as "spike islanders".

Just as a matter of interest, when I was in the Irish Army I was detailed to collect a prisoner who was being released from Spike Island. Its a bleak place and was a military prison at the time, (1970s).

I understood that wooden stockaded areas formed of logs cut to a point on top became called spike island. One such construction was apparently erected in the 19th C in my home area of Southampton. Natives of Sholing, Southampton were often known as "spike islanders".

Also sometimes known as the Peoples' Republic of Sho-Ling! B)

Yes, Steve, I wandered the streets if Sho-Ling in my youth clutching my little red book and looking for capitalist running dogs to denounce.

Nearest, thing to China was Ming's restaurant down near the Gaumont and it's special business lunch menu !

By the way , Sholing's "Spike Island" was bordered on one side by Botany Bay Rd.

My Dad swore than the area in Australia was named after the road in Sholing rather than vice versa ! Sholing was a very special place , full of characters. It isn't the same nowadays. But then is anywhere ?