Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pre Gallipoli landing

oak

I have read that circa 10 -14 April 1915 military and naval conferences were held to plan the operational details of the forthcoming Gallipoli landings.

I would like to locate a record of the conference at which Commander Edward Unwin proposed using a ship to land troops on a beach/beaches -- a proposal that led to the use of the SS River Clyde.

I would be very grateful if anyone could suggest how I might go about locating the aforementioned records. A reference number for the file would be a decided bonus!!!!!

Regards,

Philip

I came across this photo which you might find of interest.

Also, the other day I happened to skim through the diary of Sir Ian Hamilton who commanded forces in Gallipoli. In this he refers to various planning meetings in some detail so it may contain the type of info your after.

Stuart

post-6041-1120523445.jpg

Many thanks Stuart,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to send that great picture. I hadn't seen it before. Where is it from? (Just trying to establish if it's out of copywrite.)

Regards,

Philip

Dear Philip,

Don't know if this might help you.

1. These conferences (on board the Queen Elisabath) were mainly helt to introduce 5 amendments to the "general plan of campaign" prepared by GHQ in Egypt.

2. The three main ones (incl. SS River Clyde) are all a result of "Naval opinion changes" while GHQ was in Egypt.

Maybe your best chance would be to look in the direction of personal & official (Navy) accounts of de Robeck and/or Keyes ...

Don't know ...

cheeres

eric

Thanks Eric,

Sounds like a worthwhile idea.

Regards,

Philip