Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Weed

Steven Broomfield

While at Hat Fair in Winchester yesterday, I went for yet another look at the fine memorial to the 60th Rifles (KRRC) outside the Cathedral. It is (for thos who haven't seen it) a superb statue (life-sized) of a 1918 Tommy.

It was sculpted by a person with the surname 'Weed'. I can't remember the initials I'm afraid.

Does anyone have any information on this chap? Did he/she produce any other memorials?

Any information welcomed. And if you haven't seen it, the memorial's worth a visit.

The cathedral's nice, too, with a lot of military memorials. Also, if you get a chance to tour the crypt, they have the original of the Valentine Braithwaite memorial (Serre), wooden cross.

Steven

The memorial is the work of John TWEED (1869-1933) photo below.

Tweed, a member of the Royal Academy was a Scotsman who trained in London under Sir Hamo Thorneycroft and in Paris under Rodin.

His other works include in London, Wellington (Equestrian Statue on his tomb in St.Paul's Cathedral), Kitchener (Whitehall 1926) the Rifle Brigade Memorial (Grosvenor Gardens 1924), Clive of India (King Charlse St, 1912) and FM Sir George White (1922).

The Rifle Brigade Memorial consists of three figures a WW1 Rifleman in between a Rifleman of 1800 and an Officer of 1808. See the site below for a pic.

http://www.remembering.org.uk/rifle_brigade_memorial.htm

Dave

Thanks. I think my eyesight must be playing up! Appreciated.