Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Field Artillery

hmsk212

Hi

Can anyone tell me where the 1204th Battery, Royal Field Artillery were stationed during the War. I know that they were home service but would like a location for them if possible.

Steve

Steve,

Sorry to bother you, but is it definatley 1204th Battery? All I've managed to trace is a 1206th Battery,R.F.A. consisting of 4x 18-pdr guns serving at North Walsham, Norfolk in 1918. Anything else to go on?

Graham.

Steve,

Me again, you're right definately 1204th Battery. Seems it served with XII Brigade,R.F.A. with the 67th(2nd/Home Counties)Division from November 1917. Also serving in the Brigade were 1203rd Bty,R.F.A.; 1207th Bty,R.F.A. and 'D'(Howitzer)Bty.

In September 1916 Div H.Q. was located at Canterbury, while the field artillery brigades were located at Canterbury, Patrixbourne & Wingham. The heavy batteries were located at Northbourne & Upstreet.

In 1917 the field artillery brigades were concentrated at Canterbury, while the heavy batteries were moved to Eastry & Minster. The two heavy batteries at Great Bentley.

In 1918 Div H.Q. was concentrated at Brentwood. THe field artillery brigades were located at Colchester & Ipswich and it appears there they remained until the Division disappeared from the weekly return of the Home Army on 17th March 1919.

Do you want to know the organisation of the other artillery brigade?

Graham.

Steve,

Oops sorry "The two heavy batteries at Great Bentley", should have been in the 1918 paragraph.

Graham.

In September 1916 Div H.Q. was located at Canterbury, while the field artillery brigades were located at Canterbury, Patrixbourne & Wingham. The heavy batteries were located at Northbourne & Upstreet.

In 1917 the field artillery brigades were concentrated at Canterbury, while the heavy batteries were moved to Eastry & Minster.

Many thanks Graham, this is really useful information, Canterbury is literally just up the road from my address ( about 15 mins on a good day and 2 hours during the school run ). I will have to go to the local museum and see what information they have on the Battery.

Cheers and many thanks

Steve :)

Steve,

Also try the local Canterbury newspapers, they may have snippets in regarding locally based units.

Graham.