Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

12th Middlesex

Chris_B

12th Middlesex was part pf the 18th (Eastern) Divison. This division was involved in the attacks on Miraumont on 17th Feb 1917 near Baillescourt farm along with units of the RND.

Can anyone confirm the part played by 12th Middlesex on 17th, 18th and 19th Feb 1917?

Thanks,

Chris.

The History of the 18th Divn is quite detailed. In the attack on Boom Ravine (17th Feb), the 12 Mx had a company attached to each of the 2 assaulting Bns from 54 Bde - 11 RF and 6 Northants. The Bns were both low in numbers, with few officers. A surprise german bombardment had caught the troops forming-up (the Northants had a whole platoon wiped out).

Uncut wire and strong German defence didn't help, either. The CO of the Northants was sniped and killed in Boom Ravine.

The Mx coys were there - the history says that one Mx coy was led for 2 days by Sergeant G Rowe after all officers had fallen, and one platoon was led by Pte A Humphries, but they dug in successfully on the ridge line.

So - to answer the question - two coys of 12 mx were involved in the action at Boom ravine. No idea of casulaties, I'm afraid.

There are 5 pages of the Middlesex Regimental history ("Die Hards in the Great War" by Everard Wyrall) - pages 7 to 11 in volume 2- dedicated to this battalion on this day so,as you can see, quite a bit of detail.

If you can't get your hands on a copy, or no-one posts a scan of these pages in the next dat or two, remind me and I'll scan them for you.

Dave.

Steven and Dave, thanks for your input. I'll certainly be interested in a scan if the pages.

Regards,

Chris.

• 7 months later...

QUOTE (Chris_B @ Jul 3 2005, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Steven and Dave, thanks for your input. I'll certainly be interested in a scan if the pages.

Regards,

Chris.

My gt Uncle dies in 12 Mdx on the 12/2/17 and is buried at Regina Trench Cemetary. We are going over there in April and would REALLY appreciate a scan of the War diary of the 12 Bn Middlesex for this period Jan-Feb if possible. PLease!!!