Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remembering those who fell on the 2nd July...

Max Poilu

The Somme battle was a long campaign indeed, I would like to remember all those who fell throughout those long months. Here is just one man who fell the day after that famous day.

post-569-1120345328.jpg

I quite agree - however, I always see 1st July each year as the day we remember all those, from both sides, who fell in the entire battle - and not on that one day alone. I suspect only a minority of those who attend the ceremonies actually have a relative killed on the 1st July, and use it as a similar opportunity to remember.

Nice photo.

I always see 1st July each year as the day we remember all those, from both sides, who fell in the entire battle - and not on that one day alone.

You are absolutely right Paul, most of us here probably think the same way. For some in the media however, the battle of the Some was a one day campaign!

I guess you know the cemetery above, one of my favourites to watch the sun go down in.

Perhaps we should have a dated grave photo on the forum for every day of the 1916 Somme battle or even the entire war?

I guess you know the cemetery above, one of my favourites to watch the sun go down in.

Perhaps we should have a dated grave photo on the forum for every day of the 1916 Somme battle or even the entire war?

Giles

Could you please tell me the name and location of this cemetery. I like the photo too. I think your idea about the grave photo is a good one. Perhaps the photo could go hand in hand, so to speak, with the cemetery photo that appears when you access the parent site.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Many thanks for the comments - the cemetery is Aveluy Wood, one of my 'favourites' along with the nearby Authuille Military cemetery. The time was a few weeks ago as the sun was going down. Always best to take pictures of headstones when the shadows are long and the light is across the stone as it gives such clear definition.

BTW, whatever happened to all that hoo-ha a few years ago with people blacking in names with mud or worse...?

Maybe that is something to do during the 90th anniversary next year?

In memory of those men whose grave will probably never be known. Putting a face to a name on a casualty list.

Engelbert Feichtner, killed in action near the Schwaben Redoubt, 1 July 1916.

Ralph

post-32-1120488714.jpg

the cemetery is Aveluy Wood, one of my 'favourites' along with the nearby Authuille Military cemetery.  The time was a few weeks ago as the sun was going down.  Always best to take pictures of headstones when the shadows are long and the light is across the stone as it gives such clear definition.

BTW, whatever happened to all that hoo-ha a few years ago with people blacking in names with mud or worse...?

Giles

Regarding the mud, perhaps not everyone can wait for the best time of day. That, however, is no justification for damaging headstones.

I did a bit of research on Rifleman Atkinson. From CWGC there is some additional information:

Name: Atkinson

Initials: R

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Irish Rifles

Unit text: 8th Bn

Date of Death: 02/07/1916

Service No.: 8/12520

Additional information: Son of Andrew and Elizabeth Atkinson, of 44 Woodcot Avenue, Belfast

CasualtyType: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: I.C.5.

Cemetery: Aveluy Wood Cemetery, Mesnil-Martinsart

National Archives: Robert Atkinson, Royal Irish Rifles, G/12520 (not sure whether the "G" is an error).

The 8th Battalion was a Service Battalion from East Belfast and was attached to the 107th Brigade of the 36th (Ulster) Division. The 8th Battalion was heavily involved in the Schwaben Redoubt attack on 1 July. According to Westlake, on 1 July the Battalion was in reserve and moved from Aveluy Wood, assembling in Thiepval Wood where it received "high casualities from shelling and machine gun fire from Thiepval. Advanced across No Man's Land under tremendous bombardment and fire - hand-to-hand fighting at Schwaben Redoubt." The Battalion was relieved on 2 July and withdrew through Thiepval Wood to billets at Martinsart.

It's possible Robert may have been wounded on 1 July and died the next day.

Chris