Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cross of Sacrifice

museumtom

I just found out that there are books called Cross of Sacrifice in 5 volumes. They sound just my cup of tea to extend the War dead databases. If any pal has any or all of the 5 volumes and wishes to sell them to me they will have a good home (the books not the pals).

Please let me know what you have and the price required.

regards.

Tom

Tom,

I have a feeling that only 2 out of the planned 5 volumes were ever published.

I could be wrong though :huh:

Cross of Sacrifice Series

Volume 1 £34.99 Officers died, British, Indian, East African Corps

Volume 2 £24.99 Officers died Royal Navy, Marines, Air Force etc

Volume 3 £24.99 Officers died Commonwealth etc Corps

Volume 4 £34.99 NCO’s died Royal Navy, Marines, Air Force etc

Savannah Publications, 90 Dartmouth Road, Forest Hill, London, SE23 3HZ

I have seriously abbreviated the titles. This is from a catalogue about 8 years old, this company sold Soldiers Died in book form, I bought my copy of the Duke of Wellington’s Regiment from them. Run by a very helpful woman at that time, but I have no up to date information.

Tony

I have a feeling that only 2 out of the planned 5 volumes were ever published.

Arenn't you thinking about THE BOND OF SACRIFICE ?

Intended as a collection of biographies on all officers died during the war. As they did during the Boer War. During part 2 (upto June 1915) they realised that this wasn't like the Boer War and that the number of casualties made the project impossible.

Regards,

Marco

Diana Birch was probably the woman to whom you refer. They had a website but it seems to have disappeared. Regards. Dick

tom,you can get all 5 from naval+ military,i have the 1st four vols,and they are very good,bernard

After posting my earlier reply, I realized that there is something wrong with Tony's citation. The book that Tom asked about is Cross of Sacrifice and it was printed in six volumes:

Volume 1: Officers who died in the service of British, Indian and East African Regiments and Corps 1914-1919. £24.99

Volume 2: Officers who died in Service of the Royal Navy, RNVR, Royal Marines, RNAS and the RAF 1914-1919. £24.99

Volume 3: Officers who died in service of Commonwealth and Colonial Navies, Regiments and Corps and Air Forces 1914-1919. £24.99

Volume 4: Non-Commissioned Officers and Men of the Royal Navy, Royal Flying Corps and Royal Air Force. £24.99

Volume 5: The Officers, Men and Women of the Merchant Navy and Mercantile Fleet Auxiliary 1914-1919. £24.99

Volume 6: Non-commissioned Officers and Men of the Australian Navy, Regiments and Corps and Air Force 1914-1919. £34.99

The volumes were not pubished by Savannah Press, but rather by Roberts, 6 Titan House, Calleva Park, Aldermaston, RG7 4QW

Phone: 01734 819973

Fax: 01734 811176

Regards. Dick

dick,thanks for that,i heard they were going to publish a sixth vol then nothing,i tried to contact the address for details and the letter was returned,bernard

Bernard: I cannot absolutely say that all six volumes were actually published. I own volumes 1 and 3 and what I listed was on the flyleaf of volume 3. Dick

My information came from the Savannah Publications catalogue 1997/98ish. The catalogue has this email address: savpub@dircon.co.uk I have sent an email asking for an up to date price list, if they are still in business I should hear something sooner or later.

Tony.

tony,i think they are still going,but i would never buy off them again,i bought a book and to save time i sent a PO,it arrived 5 weeks later,just a glitch i thought,the next book i ordered took over 6 weeks,bernard

tom,you may be better asking tom morgan,i got mine off ray westlake,tom now owns it,and if he can get em for you,you wont wait ages,bernard

I was talking to Tom last night and he said N@MP will not sell to him and he does not have any of the originals for sale. He's a nice fella and easy to deal with. I got another book from him though.

Regards.

Tom

Pals,

IIRC publication of this series was halted due to the unfortunate and untimely demise of the 'collator' and publisher, Mr. Roberts, whose christian name, I'm ashamed to say, eludes me for the moment. I actually thought that there were only four volumes published as I was at one time awaiting the arrival of the Merchant Navy volume (Vol V), which never seemed to appear. Perhaps Savannah Publications have picked this series up and are the new publishers, hence the delay in completing the 'set'.

Regards

Steve

I have just received this email from Savannah Publications:

I am afraid I no longer have these books, I believe the last copies were held by

Naval and Military Press.

My stock list can be viewed at www.savannahpublications.com

Thank you for your enquiry

Diana Birch