Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Avtars?

armourersergeant

I have often wondered why and what some of the avtars are that peole use so please lets have some answers and reasons why?

i,ll start the ball, my avtar is of the AOC badge the reason is that my grandad served in them during the war.

Arm.

Mine shows the portrait of 21 year old A/Major Charles Blair Wilson 42nd Battalion (Royal Highlanders of Canada), killed at Courcelette on September 15, 1916, while gallantly leading his company.

I spent many months researching this fine young officer, and through the journey came to feel as though I know him. I much admire him, and proud to have had his story published on Tom Morgan's fine site Hellfire Corner: (Please give it a read some time with my compliments)

http://www.hellfire-corner.demon.co.uk/act...tingcaptain.htm

My Great Uncle William John Grady, 2/1st Battalion London Regiment, KIA 24 April 1918 serving with 2/2nd Battalion London Regiment.

You can read his story here.

Mine shows:

25th Div Sign

My grandfather served with "C" Battery 112th Bde RFA

28th Div Sign

My grandfather served with 2nd Bn East Yorks

Luckily both survived with 'Blighty Ones'

Bedfordshire Imperial Yeomanry.

My next door neighbour when I was a child had seved with this unit. He came round every Saturday for lunch and thrilled us kids with war stories. He even taught me to ride a horse!

I have the flag for a German Army Head Quarters (Armee-Oberkommando aka AOK).

Jan

The badge of the Wiltshire Regiment

South Staffordshire Regiment.

The regiment my Great Grandad and two Great Uncles served with during

the war,

the regiment my grandad served with during the second.

The Staffordshire Regiment is also my local regiment

Doug

Mine is the Prussian Orden Pour le Merite, chosen because I have it as my e mail address and think it's a beautiful looking medal. Also chosen because of my interest in the German side of the Great War and also the air campaign where a fair few were won. There's a book on flyers who won it and I'd like to track that down.

I'd love to own one but will have to come into a hell of a lot of money!

Still, a man can dream...

Mine ,at the moment, is the personal (not just aircraft) insignia of the "Hussard de Mors" - the French ace, Charles Nungesser.

It's a symbol (this ,and that of Raoul Lufbery) that I've always liked since being a boy. This symbol adorned my schoolbooks, school bags (as well as toilet doors etc!) etc., and later, items of personal equipment in the army (though I did get in trouble for drawing it on my helmet cover!!) and beyond. I don't know why, but I think it's the dark humour behind it that attracts me. (I am also a huge admirer of Nungesser himself - I like his style!

Dave

Guest Hill 60
I'd love to own one but will have to come into a hell of a lot of money!

I know it's not as good as having the real thing, but I've seen a good copy of the Orden Pour le Merite for sale, it would make a reasonable gap-filler until you win the lottery!

Being a South Downer born and bred, mine is of the county regiment, the Royal Sussex (the 'Iron Regiment'); a regiment that hasn't existed for more nearly 40 years and all the WW1 veterans have faded away now...

Beings I can't yet find a decent picture of the Staffordshire Yeomanry cap badge, mine is a nickel plate and enamel Machine Gun Corps sweetheart badge.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Mine are family members: My grandfather and two of his brothers - all served Western Front and all came home after.

Ian

:ph34r:

Mine is the Ulster Tower, no particular reason, I paid a visit their this year and found it a very moving memorial - made special by it's location

Look up. Look way up. With Lee's new avatar it looks like he's taken flight. :D

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth

And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth

Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things

You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung

High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there

I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung

My eager craft through footless halls of air.

Up, up the long delirious, burning blue,

I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace

Where never lark, or even eagle flew -

And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod

The high unsurpassed sanctity of space,

Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

Gillespie Magee - No. 412 squadron, Royal Canadian Air Force

Killed December 11, 1941

Garth

The Brooding Soldier Memorial located at St. Julien. There's something about this memorial that speaks to my heart.

You can find more information on the Brooding Soldier at Veterans Affairs Canada's web site.

Garth

post-8-1058060338.jpg

Guest Hill 60
Look up. Look way up. With Lee's new avatar it looks like he's taken flight. :D

Hey Garth - 3 guesses where I got that avatar from???

Hey Garth - 3 guesses where I got that avatar from???

I don't know, the main Jagdgeschwader 1 hangar?

Remember Ace, any landing you can walk away from is a good landing. :P

Your eagle-eyed wing man, B)

Garth

Having only just entered the nursery class on graphics, I am restricted in my choice. My current avatar has pleasant summer colours, but please excuse its smeary appearance. I nicked it from a website following a Google search for something within the accepted limit for pixels.

Until recently my postings bore the cap badge of the Royal Buckinghamshire Hussars, the Boer War unit of 'my' man Blair Swannell (see signature blow). However, as the result was an unidentifiable squiggle, I have replaced it with the Tudor rose symbol of my native Northamptonshire.

Guest Hill 60
I don't know, the main Jagdgeschwader 1 hangar?

Remember Ace, any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.

Your eagle-eyed wing man

Garth

Now, now Garth! We both know I'm new to this flying lark, stop using the long confusing German words!!

Indeed, I did get it from The Aerodrome, along with another favey of mine, the Albatros DIII.

Remember Ace, any landing you can walk away from is a good landing.

It is a shame about the Firefly at Duxford :(

Remember, keep the sun behind you and stay above your foe B)

A 20 x 15 inch pastel sketch of Captain William Booker, Notts & Derby Regiment, who, I believe, was the commandant of a German Prisoner of War Camp in 1919 at Abbeville, France. His son told me that the artist was a German Prisoner of War and it can be seen that the signature is ?? Buchholz.

It would be interesting to know what became of such a talented person. Research to date has established the following artists: Buchholz , Eric : Buchholz , Feodor-Feodorowitsch : Buchholz , Fritz : Buchholz , Heinrich . All of these artists were born in the 19th Century but cannot be linked with the above artist.

Goodday,

My avatar bring a "French touch". It's part of the 106th regiment of infantry monument. Genevoix'one for those who know his books.

"Je crois" mean "I believe".

He is located on a sector which costed many lifes : Les Eparges, east of France. More personnal : my step grand father is "missing in action" on 28 sept 1914 not far away from that place.

Nicolas

post-8-1058371538.jpg