Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Re Signals Coy - Portable Electric Light Plant

Chris_Baker

I have seen a reference to a Portable Electric Light Plant being carried by an RE Signals Company. This Company was attached to GHQ at St Omer. I presume it was a generator and lighting of some kind. Does anyone know what it looked like / consisted of?

I don't have a picture unfortunately, but PEL (Portable Electric Lighting) sets were available before the war and sets were taken to France with the BEF in 1914 to light GHQ and 1st and and 2nd Corps HQ's. These sets were operated by an RE Cpl. Initially, I believe they consisted of a generator, accumulators and sundry equipment. In autumn 1914, several of the Div HQ's managed to get hold of small lighting sets unofficially and the demand grew. This demand was officially recognised in November 1914 by GHQ and the RE Signal Service was requested to take over their provision and operation. In 1917 a 3Kw Lister set was ordered and all existing locally purchased PEL's were replaced between winter 1917 and spring 1918.

Terry Reeves

The RE had two 'Schools of Electric Light' one at Portsmouth and the other at Plymouth. They amalgamated in 1916 but I don't know where.

They had a metal shoulder title SEL. According to the 1936 Clothing Regs. these were worn by 'boys under instruction only'.

Source: Ray Westlake - Collecting Metal Shoulder Titles

The original School of Electric Light was housed in the "Kremlin" at Chatham, a purpose built building. It is now the RE Museum.

Terry Reeves