Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Bunker

gem22

Would anyone care to hazard a guess as to where this bunker can be found?

No prize for the winner as I'm sure lots of you will have seen it.

• 2 weeks later...

jdajd

As Paul says it would be interesting if this was in High Wood as visitors are not normally allowed access.

Anyway it isn't High Wood and, rest assured, access to this bunker is definitely not restricted.

Garth

Hi Paul. Myself and my partner gained access to High Wood 2 years ago. She is Dutch and also speaks fluent french. She just walked up to the main drive, introduced herself to the family. Told them of my grandfathers connection with the wood and access was permitted! However, she did pick up, a not very happy impression of English people in general! The person who gave us permission, spoke no English either! I,m sure the reason we got permission, was Milena,s nationality and her excellent french! I think you are quite right though Paul, enter without permission and beware! Chris. :o

well i can tell you for sure its not in my back garden, i can see the bottom fence now its been cut down and it definately isnt there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so where is it?

Mandy

Okay

You've had long enough. I'll put you out of your misery, though I'm surprised no one came up with the answer. I felt sure one well travelled Pal would know this bunker.

And the answer is (drum roll) Bourlon Wood.

Its on the eastern side about 200 yards up from the Canadian memorial. The view out over the valley is incredible. I can thoroughly recommend a visit to the area- particularly if you are interested in the Battle of Cambrai. Looking at the ground from the defenders point of view was quite chilling.

One thing that interested me was the construction of the bunker. It has a square opening in the top that was not shell damage. I wondered if it was originally covered with some sort of movable cover that would allow a machine gun or small artillery piece to be positoned on top.

If anyone knows of similar constructions and can explain the opening I'd love to know.

Garth