Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Howards & Sons

Boreenatra

Does anyone have any information on this firm of Howards & Sons in Ilford. There is a small stone above this one with some WW2 names on but has graffitti sprayed on it. Any info appreciated. Regards Steve.

Does anyone have any information on this firm of Howards & Sons in Ilford. There is a small stone above this one with some WW2 names on but has graffitti sprayed on it. Any info appreciated. Regards Steve.

Steve

A quick check on the Historical Directories website shows that Howards & Sons were manufacturing chemists in Uphall Road (1914 Kellys Dir)

Is this the one?

Regards

Jim

Howards came from Stratford and bought 30 acres near Uphall Lane in 1897... they were a world famous chemists, they also developed photographic materials... Ilofrd films lived virtually next door.

A later firm on the Howards Site was Laportes Chemicals.. is now a Sainsbury supermarket

Had a look at the names afraid none ring a bell... my family lived in Ilford for four generations... back to the 1870s.. they had a bakers shop in Cranbrook Road

John

steve,has the stone been taken off the wall or have they knocked the building down,bernard

Jim. Thanks for the link, yes it is them. John, what was the name of the bakers in Cranbrook Rd.? My own business is in Gants Hill not far away. Bernard I think the stone is attached to the wall of what I think is a derelict chapel, ( it's all boarded up and covered in graffitti) but the WW2 stone ( see pic) is attached. Regards Steve.

Steve

They long sonce gone... but were Hendersons... in 1902 they were near York Road, and then later in the 30s moved to near Fairheads

John

Essex WFA have a Memorials Officer who would be most interested in these & MAY be able to do something about their long-term preservation. If that is of interest may I forward this information & take any further ideas, please?

Bob

A bit more information. I am reliably told that Howards were probably best known for their pharmaceutical products rather than for photographic materials although they did have an extensive commercial chemicals operation. They were taken over by Laporte Industries in the early 1960s. One of the directors - James Howard - was killed by a bomb in October 1940, and I see he is commemorated on the WW2 memorial.

Bob, thanks for the message. Although I have no connection with Howards, I like Bernard thought this memorial may have been elsewhere, or indeed come off the wall, however anything that can be done would be appreciated. Regards Steve.

Steve,

Can you, please be more specific where these memorials actually are now? Are they together? Can you send me your e-mail address so the Memorials Officer can contact you for more information,

Bob

Bob. I've reproduced my original pic here. The memorial is in Ilford Cemetery in Buckingham Road Ilford Essex. Having looked at this pic it seems that the WW1 stone seems to have been set on a small plinth and because the WW2 stone is on the wall behind it, I now think it probably is in situe. The wall it is attached to is a disused building which may have been a small chapel. I'll try to go there tommorow and get a pic of the stones and building together.

Regards Steve.

Steve,

That's excellent, thank you. Can the Memorials Officer contact you direct, please?

If so, please send me details off-Forum,

Regards

Bob

You should be able to now, I deleted the first post and reposted it. If you still cant see it I'll post it on its own. Regards Steve.