The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Norfolk Regiment History

chrismac

I have borrowed from the library the -

History of the Norfolk Regiment 1914 - 1918

anyone with any queries feel free to ask and I'll have a look

Chris

Someone asked me about a relative in the 53rd MGC which was 53rd Brigade which contained 8th Norfolks...

Can you tell me what was happening around 20th October 1917 to the 8th Norfolks? They were in the Ypres Salient, this date was after 1st Battle of Paschendale & before the 2nd.

Thanks

Andy

" The first three weeks of October were spent on the west bank of the Yser canal, and partly in training for the attack of October 22nd in the Poelcappelle neighbourhood. On the 8th Leiutenant -Colonel Ferguson and commanding the battalion almost contiously for three years proceeded on six months special leave to England and was suceeded by Mjor E. N.Snepp. The only other notable event was on the 15th when the German bombardment was specially severe causing several causualties. One shell made a direct hit on a 'pill-box' in which was the regimental aid post. The medical officer was wounded two men were killed and one wounded. On the 20th the battalion was inCane trench ready for the forthcoming attack "

It then goes on to decribe the attack which went in on around 5.50am of the 22nd. The Norfolks went first, leapt frogged by the 10th Essex. Despite the mud all the objectives were achieved.

"The triumpahant Essex and Norfolks...........tramped back to hear the whole division ...and General Maxse.... singing their paise. "

Losses were heavy and this was destined to be the Battalions last great action before it's dissolution. Being split up in the new year to go to the 7th and 9th Norfolks

Sorry it's a bit patchy but my scanner is u/s at the moment and my typing speed is about five words a minute (or less)

regards

chris

" The first three weeks of October were spent on the west bank of the Yser canal, and partly in training for the attack of October 22nd in the Poelcappelle neighbourhood. On the 8th Leiutenant -Colonel Ferguson and commanding the battalion almost contiously for three years proceeded on six months special leave to England and was suceeded by Mjor E. N.Snepp. The only other notable event was on the 15th when the German bombardment was specially severe causing several causualties. One shell made a direct hit on a 'pill-box' in which was the regimental aid post. The medical officer was wounded two men were killed and one wounded. On the 20th the battalion was inCane trench ready for the forthcoming attack "

It then goes on to decribe the attack which went in on around 5.50am of the 22nd. The Norfolks went first, leapt frogged by the 10th Essex. Despite the mud all the objectives were achieved.

"The triumpahant Essex and Norfolks...........tramped back to hear the whole division ...and General Maxse.... singing their paise. "

Losses were heavy and this was destined to be the Battalions last great action before it's dissolution. Being split up in the new year to go to the 7th and 9th Norfolks

Sorry it's a bit patchy but my scanner is u/s at the moment and my typing speed is about five words a minute (or less)

regards

chris

Chris

Sorry for butting in, but that was very useful to me also I had 3 great uncles with the 8th Norfolks. The picture just gets bigger the whole time. Many thanks

All The Best

Chris

chris

a quick one on your John William (Jack) Bettles

Not sure how much you have on him but my suggestion is that he would have been part of the 'Norsets' - a composite battalion of available drafts and recovered sick and wounded from the two battalions. The original 2nd Battalion at the time being holed up in Kut.

On 22nd Aprill the Norsets part of the 21st Brigade) were in the marsh area trying to relief the Kut fortress. Heavy fighting took part i the early hours of the day. Of the 45 officers and 858 other ranks 22 OR's were killed, 146 wounded and 22 missing.

The attack was beaten back and the Norsets eventualy retired when Kut was captured.

There's a couple of pages describing the events which I will photocopy whilst I have the book.

Likewise Pte John Clingo. The 9th were moved to the Ypres saloient on April ist 1918 and moved to Dranoute on the 14th.

" Next day D and A companies were in front line, C in supportand B in reserveArrangements had been made for C to counter attack if necessary butit's losses owing to the continous heavy bombardment commencing at noon on the 15th necessitated B taking it's palce as the counter attack force. At 2.30pm on the 15th the enemy advanced and by 3pm had gained a foothold in the front trenches. Fromthese he was once again driven out by B company. Although B held the line and formed a defensive flank they were eventually themselves driven out due to their exposed poistion.

Line was then formed along the railway with the Ist Leicesters on their left at Clapham Junction. At 10.30pm they were moved back behind Mt Kemmel before being pulled out of line on the 18th.

This was after the 9th had been badly cut up a month before holding the masive German onslaught of the 2ist March. Here they had fought a strong reagaurad action before being moved out of line to for a refit in Sixte near Proven onthe 26th.

regards

chris

chris

a quick one on your John William (Jack) Bettles

Not sure how much you have on him but my suggestion is that he would have been part of the 'Norsets' - a composite battalion of available drafts and recovered sick and wounded from the two battalions. The original 2nd Battalion at the time being holed up in Kut.

On 22nd Aprill the Norsets part of the 21st Brigade) were in the marsh area trying to relief the Kut fortress. Heavy fighting took part i the early hours of the day. Of the 45 officers and 858 other ranks 22 OR's were killed, 146 wounded and 22 missing.

The attack was beaten back and the Norsets eventualy retired when Kut was captured.

There's a couple of pages describing the events which I will photocopy whilst I have the book.

Likewise Pte John Clingo. The 9th were moved to the Ypres saloient on April ist 1918 and moved to Dranoute on the 14th.

" Next day D and A companies were in front line, C in supportand B in reserveArrangements had been made for C to counter attack if necessary butit's losses owing to the continous heavy bombardment commencing at noon on the 15th necessitated B taking it's palce as the counter attack force. At 2.30pm on the 15th the enemy advanced and by 3pm had gained a foothold in the front trenches. Fromthese he was once again driven out by B company. Although B held the line and formed a defensive flank they were eventually themselves driven out due to their exposed poistion.

Line was then formed along the railway with the Ist Leicesters on their  left at Clapham Junction. At 10.30pm they were moved back behind Mt Kemmel before being pulled out of line on the 18th.

This was after the 9th had been badly cut up a month before holding the masive German onslaught of the 2ist March. Here they had fought a strong reagaurad action before being moved out of line to for a refit in Sixte near Proven onthe 26th.

regards

chris

Thanks Chris

I had already got the above info, but thanks anyway. John Clingo had been in the 8th Norfolks along with his 2 brothers that why your posting on the 1917 action was of great interest to me

Al The Best

Chris