Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

arthur cooper 37850

Guest Dawn Elizabeth

Guest Dawn Elizabeth

Hi all,

Can anyone help, my Dad and I finally found out which regiment my g granfather belonged to during WW1,it was written on the back of a photo of my G Grandmother which we have just found. It stated 37850 A Cooper, 5 batt Worcs Reg. I have been looking at the batt movements during the war and it states they were in England for most of the time. Can anyone tell me if he went abroad and served in Gallipoli or Messoptamia which were led to believe.

Any information you can give me will be a great help

Dawn

Guest Dawn Elizabeth

hi all,

Now confused, could he have been transferred to diff unit as he sent postcards to his children, front of the cards are of citadel BAGHDAD, back of cards "Wishing Happy Christmas at MESO, was this Mesopatamia ??? i wonder.

Hope to find out before I tell my Dad he was mis-informed years ago by family,not that there is anything wrong in being "AT HOME" during the War, they all did a fantastic job!!.

Dawn

Dawn.

This should be your great grandfathers Medal Index Card. Only those men serving abroad were entitled to the overseas service medals referenced to on the card. Therefore he was definitely overseas.

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=1

The link above is to the entry screen to the card. You have to pay £3.50 to download a PDF file with a scan of the original.

If you open the "Long, Long Trail" link at the top of this screen and read the section on Grandad's War it will tell you more about the MIC card and what else you can look at.

Hope this helps you,

Steve.

P.S. From the Worcesters link posted by Doug above, it look like only the 9th Battalion served in Mesopotamia (Iraq), with the 13th Division, and they were at Gallipoli too, but it's best to check these things. The references on the MIC can be referenced back to the Medal rolls books at the National Archives at Kew, which should tell you what regiment he was actually in. If you ask (in the "I'm Going to the NA" section), some kind soul may look them up for you...

Dawn

The additional information you have given from the postcards puts your grandad in the 9th (service) Btn,they served in Mesopotamia. Hope this makes it clearer for you.

Regards Doug