Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Bn. Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Chris_B

I'd be grateful if anyone can tell me the whereabouts of the "1st Bn. Royal Welsh Fusiliers" on and around 20/10/1914.

Thanks,

Chris.

Battalion was part of 22nd Brigade, 7th Division for the duration of the war. Involved in the Battle of Ypres at the time you write.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Wienand

I'd be grateful if anyone can tell me the whereabouts of the "1st Bn. Royal Welsh Fusiliers" on and around 20/10/1914.

Chris.

To be precise, they were holding the line around Broodseinde on this day.

Dave.

Chris.

To be precise, they were holding the line around Broodseinde on this day.

Dave.

The mother site says this: "On the 20th October the 2/Seaforth Highlanders and 1/Royal Welsh Fusiliers were sent forward to capture positions that would assist communications across the river Lys. Initial success could not be exploited due to lack of high-explosive shell."

Is that accurate?

Regards,

Chris.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest nhuitson

Hallo-my friend and I are new to this.She is looking on behalf of her father,who would love to know more about his fathers war.His name was George Edward Dale, dob 15.11.1891.He was in 1st Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers (regimental number 31705) during the first world war,and he was awarded the military medal-date of gazette 17 dec 1917.he would very much like to know where and when he served,and what this would have been awarded for?we have found his record card on national archives.It says his registered paper was 68/121/364 and schedule number was 117905.we are sorry to be so naive,but we would love to help him out! :rolleyes:

Recommended reading regarding 1st Bn Royal Welsh Fusiliers is

THE SEVENTH DIVISION 1914 - 1918 by C.T. Atkinson published by Naval & Military Press.

http://www.naval-military-press.com/FMPro?...ameset.htm&-new

Attached: Map 3 The Advance On Menin, 19th October 1914 on page 28 of the book.

regards

Richard

post-1376-1122590609.jpg

Guest nhuitson

what an excellent start to our research! thankyou-we have ordered the book! were the 1st battalion with the 7th division all the time from 3rd sept 1914 til finish of war?

The answer to your question is Yes.

Here is a page from the main site here detailing 7th Divisions War.

http://www.1914-1918.net/7div.htm

If you click on the Long, Long Trail link at the top of this page (or follow the links from 7th Divisions page) there is lots more information available.

Steve.