Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Weight F G - Regimental Serjeant Major

Chris_B

Seeking information about this man as described in the CWGC register:

Weight F G

Name: WEIGHT Initials: F G Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Regimental Serjeant Major Regiment: Royal Marine Light Infantry Unit Text: 1st R.M. Bn. R.N. Div. Date of Death: 02/09/1918 Service No: CH/11722 Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: V. C. 25. Cemetery: QUEANT ROAD CEMETERY, BUISSY

Need to find full name. and age and any other details to prove a family link.

Thanks,

Chris.

Hello

Frederick George Weight was killed in action on 2 Sep 18.

don

Don and Arthur, thanks for the rapid replies. Any other details, particularly age would be very helpful.

I'm trying to connect this man to two "Weight" brothers, he may be the third brother.

Chris.

Checking the medal card index his entry is:

Description

Medal card of Weight, F G

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Marines CM/11722 Serjeant /Acting Quarter Master Serjeant

The rank does not match that of his CWGC entry. Any ideas why?

Chris.

Hello Chris B.

The most plausible reason for the difference in rank was that the rank on the card was his rank at the beginning of the war or at the time of the award (you didn't say, but if it was the 1914/1915, you had several years after to consider).

don

His date and place of birth, an address for his next of kin and other details will be on his register of service in ADM 159/55, held at Kew, well thumbed, but not burnt!

The rank does not match that of his CWGC entry. Any ideas why?

The MIC that you’ve found isn’t for his campaign medals (they will be listed in ADM 171/171 and are do not have index cards), it was because he was awarded an instant army Meritorious Service Medal.

He is mentioned in detail in Ian Mc Innes ‘The MSM to Naval Forces’ (Picton Publishing, Chippenham, 1983) as an example group then in the author’s collection. Edited highlights: Frederick George Weight was born in July 1882 (no place listed in the booklet) and was issued:

African General Service Medal (Somaliland 1902-04)

1914/15 Star trio

Royal Navy LSGC

Army MSM LG 17/6/18

Messina Earthquake Medal.

He became an RSM in August 1918, hence difference in ranks.

The MIC that you’ve found isn’t for his campaign medals (they will be listed in ADM 171/171 and are do not have index cards), it was because he was awarded an instant army Meritorious Service Medal.

He is mentioned in detail in Ian Mc Innes ‘The MSM to Naval Forces’ (Picton Publishing, Chippenham, 1983) as an example group then in the author’s collection. Edited highlights: Frederick George Weight was born in July 1882 (no place listed in the booklet) and was issued:

African General Service Medal (Somaliland 1902-04)

1914/15 Star trio

Royal Navy LSGC

Army MSM LG 17/6/18

Messina Earthquake Medal.

He became an RSM in August 1918, hence difference in ranks.

Many thanks for this detailed information, it's very helpful.

Regards,

Chris,

Now I've been able to scan the description that McInnes gave:

"The … group, in the writer's collection, is an imposing group of seven:

Africa General Service (Somaliland 1902-04 Pte RM HMS Mohawk)

14/15 Trio (Sgt and Act Sgt Maj, RMLI)

RN LS&GC (George V, Admiral's Bust, Sgt, RMLI)

Army MSM (A/QM Sgt I/R. Marines)

Messina Earthquake Medal 1908

"Note the typically Army styling of the unit; the details are corrected on page 11842 of London Gazette 7 October 1918 to RMLI. HMS Mohawk was a cruiser of 1885, three-masted with eight six-inch quick firing guns making thirteen knots and displacing 1770 tons - length 225 feet. Three thousand six hundred and fifty Somaliland bars were awarded to RN and RM recipients from fourteen ships.

"Frederick George Weight was born in July 1882 and enlisted in July 1900. He embarked in Mohawk in January 1903 and landed with the Naval Brigade on 21 April 1904 in Somaliland and was present at the capture of Illig. Promoted Corporal in 1905 and Sergeant in 1912 he passed in signalling ('05) First Aid ('06) Musketry (7 times) Gunnery ('01) and became a clerk in the QMS's office from 1906 to 1915, doing two sea tours on Resolution and Andromache in between.

"He joined the RN Division, 189th RM Brigade, in France in December 1915, (?sic) two months after earning his LS&GC. He no doubt saw much action in the many battles of Passchendaele, Arras, Welsh Ridge and earned his £34.0.0 war gratuity. He managed two periods of leave – 10 days in June 1916 and a month's re-engagement (his second) leave in February 1918. He was promoted to QMS in November 1916 and RSM in June 1918.

"He was killed in action on 20 September 1918 and is buried in Quant Road British Cemetery, 91/4 miles north-east of Bapaume."

Many thanks again for this fascinating and detailed biography. If I can find where he was born it might prove the link I'm looking for.

Regards,

Chris.

A trip to Kew will reveal that to you, see my post with the reference for his register of service.

A trip to Kew will reveal that to you, see my post with the reference for his register of service.

Yes of course, I read all your posts, but unfortunately ill-health prevents me from making the trip. I do what I can from my keyboard. I placed a request in the "Going to NA" section.

Thanks again for all the references.

Chris.

Hi,

Weight was killed whilst bringing up small arms ammunition after 1/RMLI had passed through the Drocourt trench system, presumeably some time after 11:45 am on the day that he died.

He gets a one line mention in Julian Thompson's 'The Royal Marines' as having been killed in the action, like his predecessor.

Rgds,

Alex.

Hi,

Weight was killed whilst bringing up small arms ammunition after 1/RMLI had passed through the Drocourt trench system, presumeably some time after 11:45 am on the day that he died.

He gets a one line mention in Julian Thompson's 'The Royal Marines' as having been killed in the action, like his predecessor.

Rgds,

Alex.

Alex,

Thanks for this reference. One line in a book dosen't seem much for a life, but then how many countless thousands remain anonymous?

Regards,

Chris.

• 1 year later...
Guest rick weight

QUOTE (Chris_B @ Jun 30 2005, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seeking information about this man as described in the CWGC register:

Weight F G

Name: WEIGHT Initials: F G Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Regimental Serjeant Major Regiment: Royal Marine Light Infantry Unit Text: 1st R.M. Bn. R.N. Div. Date of Death: 02/09/1918 Service No: CH/11722 Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: V. C. 25. Cemetery: QUEANT ROAD CEMETERY, BUISSY

Need to find full name. and age and any other details to prove a family link.

Thanks,

Chris.

My grandfather was born in 1892 in Mitcham Surrey, he enlisted at Chatham in 1900. his wife and my father Jack Weight lived in Toronto Rd Gillingham Kent. We regularly visit the area of Arras and in particular Queant Rd where he is buried. If I can be of further assistance please let me know, we are about to go over for another visit soon,

Regards.....Rick

There seem to be either typos or differences in some details given here.

KIA 2/9/18

Born 1882.

RND Database to the rescue? I could find no mention of the Messina Medal on his service record. I seem to recall when it was last up for sale that I looked into it. He was not in the right place nor on the right ship at the right time to get a Messina Medal.

CH/11722 Regimental Sergeant Major (Acting Sergeant Major/Warrant Officer 1st Class)

Frederick George Weight MSM Royal Marine Light Infantry

1st Royal Marine Bn. 02/09/1918 Killed in action

Enlisted London 31/7/1900 ; Re-engaged 21/3/1912 ;

Embarked RM Brigade 5/12/15 (per HMT "Northlands" arrived Alexandria 17/12/15).

Quéant Road Cemetery, Buissy (FR 646)

CWGC has no record of his MSM ;

GRO & ADM/159 = Acting Sergeant Major (Warrant Officer 1st Class) ;

Africa General Service Medal with clasp "Somaliland 1902-04" (HMS "Mohawk"),

Landed with Naval Brigade Capture of Illig 21/4/1904 ;

RN Long Service & Good Conduct Medal 30/10/15 ;

Promoted Corporal 3/11/1905, Sergeant 20/7/1912, Acting Company Sergeant Major (Warrant Officer 2nd Class) 13/11/16 vice Bushell promoted, Acting Sergeant Major (Warrant Officer 1st Class) 2/6/18 vice Acting Sergeant Major Graham DOW ; MSM London Gazette 17/6/18 ;

A Farm Labourer ; b.Mitcham, Croydon, Surrey 6/7/1882 ;

Married 2/9/1908 ; Wife, Charlotte E., 39 Taveners Rd., Peterborough.

Hi John

The description was scanned using an Optical character reader and it appears above as it does in Ian Mc Innes' book including KIA 20/9/18. I haven't researched Weight myself.

I'm surprised that no doubts were raised about the Messina Medal, never had one myself, but presume the roll in ADM 171/61 is comprehensive?

Was the previous next of kin readable?

PMPT

Guest rick weight
Hi John

The description was scanned using an Optical character reader and it appears above as it does in Ian Mc Innes' book including KIA 20/9/18. I haven't researched Weight myself.

I'm surprised that no doubts were raised about the Messina Medal, never had one myself, but presume the roll in ADM 171/61 is comprehensive?

Was the previous next of kin readable?

PMPT

Sorry, finger trouble, should have read born 1882. He is also mentioned in "Britains Sea Soldiers",

Regards.......Rick

Dear PMPT,

No previous NoK I could see or read. Did not see ADM/171/61. ADM/159 was sufficient for me.

I'm sure the Messina is a dud.

TTFN

John